GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 8: The Wizard of Z

The pilot of Edridge Roundstone's Gulfstream greeted Lumin with a smile at the airstrip; a kind looking man with a bushy grey mustache

The pilot of Edridge Roundstone's Gulfstream greeted Lumin with a smile at the airstrip; a kind looking man with a bushy grey mustache. "Right this way, Miss Mira. I'll be your pilot tonight."

"Obviously. You're wearing the hat," said Lumin with a grin.

"This is Captain Saunderson," said the lone flight attendant. "Shall we get going?"

"Yeah, I'm ready," said Lumin. She followed the captain and the attendant up the narrow steps.

"The flight won't take long, unless I decide to do a few aileron rolls," said the captain with a grin as he stepped into the plane and opened the door to the cockpit.

"Excuse me?" asked Lumin.

"Most people call them 'barrel rolls' but they're wrong."

Lumin's eyes went a little wide.

"Just joking, Miss...don't worry."

Lumin laughed. "Sorry...it's just that when the people I normally associate with threaten to do something dangerous or irresponsible they are usually serious."

"Rough bunch," said the captain. "Well, take as seat and relax. I'll have Andrew bring you a refreshment. What would you like?"

"Whiskey; rocks please," said Lumin. "Thanks Andrew."

"I like your style," said the attendant. Andrew was a shaggy-haired young man who looked uncomfortable in his cheap suit. "Take a seat wherever you like and fasten your...bla bla bla, you know the drill."

"I've never been on a G6, but yeah. I get it," said Lumin.

"G8." said the captain, giving Lumin one more nod before going into the cockpit.

Lumin chose a seat in the middle of the cabin and buckled up. Her anxiety was starting to bubble up.

Andrew emerged from behind a curtain with Lumin's whiskey. After handing her the glass he sat in the seat next to her and sighed.

Lumin was surprised to have a seatmate on such an empty plane. She took a sip of her booze. It tasted dry and expensive.

After a moment, Andrew opened his eyes and looked at Lumin. "Nice to meet you. I'm not usually a...plane butler?"

"Flight Attendant," said Lumin, chuckling.

"Right. I'm actually Eldridge's personal assistant." He grabbed Lumin's hand and shook it limply. "It's kind of nice to be on the plane with someone. I'm usually alone back here."

"Really?" asked Lumin with confusion.

"Yeah. Wow, your hair smells good!"

"Um, thanks."

"Oh...hey, I can leave you alone if you want. Sorry," said Andrew. "Lately, when I'm not hanging out with Eldy I'm usually on my own. It'skind of made me socially stunted, you know?"