GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 29: Final preparations

Despite its enormity, the blimp hangar proved too small to safely maneuver Biz for testing

Despite its enormity, the blimp hangar proved too small to safely maneuver Biz for testing. Instead, construction cranes hoisted a series of humongous canvas curtains behind the building so Lumin could conduct her beta run away from the prying eyes of the press. The bare-bones assessment would ensure all of BZ-X's systems were operating at peak efficiency.

The testing lasted less than an hour and BZ-X passed with flying colors. Lumin sighed into her helmet, satisfied with her performance within such cramped conditions. Once Biz was back in the hanger, she activated her com link. "Everything felt good on the inside, Richard...how does the data look on your end?"

"The numbers are clean," said Richard. "We just need to tweak the servo array a bit, but other than that I think we're ready for a fight. You're a beast, Lumin."

"Thanks. Let the crane operators know they can drop the sheets. I felt like I was shadow boxing in a giant blanket fort." Lumin turned off her com  link and view screen. She floated within the silent isolation of the ferrofluid, enjoying a moment of peace before the crew came to pluck her out of Biz's chest. There was no denying that she was the robot's heart. The team's victory relied on her drive and passion. No weakness could seep through—not anymore. Fear and doubt were dirty secrets she'd have to hide at all times. The facade of strength she had constructed had to be maintained.

Lumin spotted a glimmer of optimism as she hovered in the dark. Yes, her body ached, but for the first time a run hadn't left her utterly exhausted. Biz's strange control scheme was becoming second nature and she was actually looking forward to the match.

A crew extracted Lumin from BZ-X and hosed viscous black fluid off her switch suit. While being lowered to the hangar floor, she saw a lineup of high fives and fist bumps awaiting her. After accepting an uncomfortable heap of praise, she peered up at Biz. The robot was impressive; more than a little menacing when fully armored. Spotswood had utilized a complex series of tight-fitting, interlocking segments to form Biz's "shell" after being inspired by the plated carapaces of stag and ox beetles. The alloy panels shone midnight blue with an iridescent sheen at their edges, each plate curved in order to better dissipate the energy of kinetic impacts. Every section of armor could be jettisoned immediately should it become warped or damaged enough to hinder mobility.

After several engineers fought over the design of Biz's head, the robot's visage became an odd amalgam of insect and humanoid features. It held an array of sensors and back-up cameras but not much else; making it largely ornamental. Perhaps the most important purpose of Biz's  cranium was to serve as a decoy. If the Kyoto Team were still working from Bo Dozen's stolen diagrams they'd choose the head as a prime target for attack, not knowing design revisions had moved the pilot's control center deep within Biz's chest.

All physical and diagnostic tests were complete. The team had five hours to rest up before preparing Biz for delivery to the T-Mobile Arena—which would be an event in itself. Lumin wanted to simply stroll Biz over to the arena but the property damage and panic caused by her little jaunt was deemed problematic. When all other modes of short range transportation  proved to be logistical nightmares, Hughes' blimp hangar provided Yasamin and Lumin with an idea. They made a deal with an upstart airship transport company called Cloudskim to transport Biz in exchange for a bevy of free promotion. Cloudskim's experimental, lighter-than-air ship—larger than a football field—would haul Biz to and from the arena. There was no word on how the Kyoto Team would be transporting their bot but Lumin assumed it would be far less ridiculous.

The hangar went strangely quiet as everyone retreated to cots to try and wind down before the fight. Even though Lumin knew almost nothing about the Kyoto Team's robot, she laid in bed imagining every possible scenario awaiting her in the fight. Her mind quickly became exhausted to match her body and it only took a few minutes of  neurotic soothsaying to lull her into a deep sleep.