GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS part 19: Eight days until the match

"Alright, so, everyone got that? Our time frame has shifted

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"Alright, so, everyone got that? Our time frame has shifted...dramatically. We only have eight days until show time. Eight. Days."

Every engineer and builder sitting at the break room table went glassy-eyed over Lumin's announcement.

"I know it seems bleak but I have some sort-of-good news. Kengi Sato has agreed to change the single match format into a best-of-three tournament. The matches will now take place over the course of three consecutive Sundays. Yes, the breaks will give the Japanese time to perfect their bot, but it also gives us an opportunity to 'tap out' of the first match if need be. We'll use the extra week to finish our build then rally to win the next two matches. It's a hail-Mary, but we can do this, people!"

More silence.

Lumin looked around the table. "Hello?"

Finally, Samuel Maston--BZ9.5's Build Manager--spoke up. "Biz is undergoing final repairs and is 90% up to spec. We're putting the finishing touches on the ferrofluid reservoir and magnetic linkage system. It will be ready for testing by tomorrow morning--if you're ready, that is."

"Yes, that's what I want to hear! Thank you, Samuel. I'll be there with bells on," said Lumin, feigning confidence. "I won't leave that ferrofluid until Biz is spinning cartwheels."

Samuel looked skeptical. "We're in uncharted territory here. If the initial tests of this control scheme fail miserably, we'll never recover. Just being honest."

"I'm not listening," said Lumin, keeping a fake smile affixed to her face.

Darwin Spotswood shook his head, looking distressed. "Eight days? This is crazy...there's no way! It would take months in that black, oily shit before you'd even come close to feeling comfortable with the controls."

Lumin furrowed her brow. "Spotswood. I've been scuba diving in Unity Reservoir twice a week to prepare, which is far from having crystal clear waters. I'm ready."

Skip Pantheon stood up slowly. "Lumin, the training you've done is admirable but I still think I should be Biz's pilot."

Lumin shook her head. "Eldridge Roundstone stipulated that I control the bot as part of the refinancing agreement, so I'm going to be the pilot...end of story. Besides, I've already been fitted for the switch suit."

"Please Lumin, he's toying with you somehow. I can sense it. I don't want to see you hurt out--"

"I'm a big girl, Skip."

Spotswood only seemed more agitated. "I don't think--"

"Enough!" barked Lumin, interrupting. "If anyone else wants to whine and crap your pants I'd rather you just leave. Don't use my safety as an excuse! The rest of you, stand up and tell me if we're hitting our benchmarks!"

"Okay, you're right," said Spotswood as he rose to his feet. He took a deep breath and straightened his stance, stuffing down his fear. "Biz's armor is being fabricated as we speak. I've perfected the alloy--it's strong as hell and even came in underweight. Barring any issues it will be ready to be installed by Tuesday, mid-day."