Chapter 11

I couldn't wait to tell my brothers that we're close to going home. Well, we're already close to being home, but close-close.

I was about to stand up until I heard a crash followed by a small scream that flopped me back down to my behind and woke my brothers up in an instant. "What was that?!" Dwayne asked in an alerted tone.

"I don't know." I said while getting up to find out where it was coming from. My brothers followed me downstairs. We went downstairs and saw Lucille lying on the recliner looking tired and breathing heavily with a broken vase and flowerpot on the floor.

"What happened?" J.D. asked.

Lucille turned and saw us then sighed loudly. "Oh, it was just my ex husband."

"You have an ex husband?" I asked.

"Yeah," Lucille said while getting up, "but he's dead."

My brothers and I gave each other skeptical looks. "So, how did he get in here?" Dwayne asked.

"He's a ghost that comes in my house and disrupts everything every now and then." Lucille said while sweeping the mess up.

"Yep. Now I definitely wanna go home now." J.D. said with a scared look on his face.

Lucille gestured us to a wall covered in picture frames. "We met back in 1976 when I was 16 and he was 17." She pointed to a picture of her and her ex in front of a house. "We decided to live together at our own house after college. We had two kids." Lucille said while pointing to another picture with two kids in it. "They're all grown up now, but they never come and visit very often. Probably because of their dead father and his disruptive ghost activities."

I felt J.D. shiver a little after she said "ghost". I couldn't help but chuckle a little. "Okay. I made breakfast." Lucille said. We followed her to the kitchen where she made eggs and bacon.

We sat in the table near the back door and ate our breakfast. "I don't think I wanna spend another day at a house out of country with a ghost of a dead husband haunting this place." J.D. said quickly.

"Don't worry you guys," I said, "I found the phone number to the Portal Company. We can try and convince them to come back early and help open back up the portal to let us go back home quicker."

"You sure they'll be that nice?" Dwayne said unsure.

"Maybe." I shrugged.

"Well I really really hope it'll work because I don't want to see a ghost in the middle of the night. What if he's big, scary and buffy?" J.D. asked.

Dwayne and I sighed at J.D.'s silly question. "Well he's not very buffy or big, but his ghostly appearance can be a little creepy to look at." Lucille said while opening the refrigerator.

J.D. moaned and slouched in his chair. Dwayne and I looked at each other and chuckled.