Chapter 9

We slowly got out of our hiding place and tried to figure out where the portal we came from is. It seemed like it disappeared. I had a bad feeling that we'll never leave this place.

"Maybe we can asked that old lady how to go back." J.D. said.

"Let's hope." Dwayne said hesitantly. We walked through the dining room and into the kitchen where the lady was preparing something.

I quietly cleared my throat and said, "Hello." The lady quickly turned around and started screaming. We started to scream as soon as the lady grabbed a knife. "No! Please don't stab us we're just lost boys!" All three of us yelled.

The lady began to breathe heavily and slowly sat the knife down on the counter. "Oh. So you three are lost?" She asked with a puzzled look.

"Yes," I responded. "We came from a door in our attic back at our home and we went through it and that's how we ended up here."

The lady still gave us a puzzled look. "We can talk more in the living room." She said while leading us into the room.

We sat in the living room with a plate of sugar cookies and milk on what looks like a coffee table. "So," the lady began, "Where are you boys from?"

"Baltimore, Maryland." Dwayne responded.

"Hmm. Never heard of that place." The lady said with a questioning look on her face.

"You've never heard of Maryland?" I asked.

"No. Never heard of Maryland." The lady responded.

Me and my brothers looked at each other in utter shock. "Then.. where are we? What is this place?" Dwayne asked desperately.

"Well we're in Avonlea. A little town no one really knows about not far from Italy." The lady said.

Avonlea? She did say that it's not far from Italy. So that means... we're in Europe?

"Oh," the lady added. "If you didn't catch my name, it's Lucille."

"Well Miss.... Lucille," Dwayne said. "We're trying to find a way back to Maryland. You see we came from a portal that was like somewhere in this corner right here, and we want to know when it opens back up so that way we can go back home?"

"Well," Lucille thought, "I've never seen a portal in my living room, or anywhere in my house."

The three of us sighed of frustration. "But, I can call the portal company to look for it." Lucille added.

"A portal company?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, they are very helpful. They can fix, clean, build, and even find the portal." Lucille said.

"That's great." Dwayne said.

"But," Lucille added in low tone, "The company's gone for a week for new equipment. So that means y'all three have to be here for a while." All of our vibes got killed after that statement.

I was worried that our parents might be worried about us. And I don't think we can learn European culture in a week.