Chapter 1

Heather looked out the window, of the two story building, she now called home, the rain outside did nothing to brighten her mood. She clutched the doll in her hands to her chest, as a tear slowly slid down her cheek. She remembered when the men in uniforms brought her here almost like it was yesterday, when in reality it had been two months ago. Her mom had gotten awfully sick, and had died, her dad had taken off as soon as she was born stating he was not ready to be a dad. Heather had tried to get along without her mother, not letting anyone know that her mom had died.

But she started getting really hungry and had to start begging for food.

People soon found out that she had no one, and brought her to the Waldendorf Orphanage. It was OK, she had a roof over her head and food in her stomach, but she was not well liked, the other kids pushed her aside and because she carried a doll around with her everywhere and seemed to cry a lot, she was dubbed the crybaby.

She turned slightly from the window, as she saw a dark black limousine pull up to the Orphanage, she kept peeking out the window, she saw a man exit the limo, he had black short hair, a modest haircut, not at all like most of the people that come here, all of a sudden the man looked up towards the window he had brown eyes, she scooted away from the window, but not before she saw a smile on the mans face.

She quickly wiped her eyes to get rid of the tears. She checked her reflection in the mirror, what looked back at her was a small thin white girl, her blue eyes veiled by dark eye lashes and long red hair, she wore a faded pink jumper dress, she tried to make it look as presentable as possible.

"Heather! Come quick the other kids are lining up, I couldn't find you."

Heather turned at Miss Reeds voice, she is the head of the Orphanage, she is nice, but if you get on her bad side, then your back side suffers.

Heather grabbed her hand and they made there way to the kids room, there were thirty other kids from the age of four to sixteen, there is always a buzz of conversation when someone comes to the orphanage to adopt.

Heather got shoved to the wall by one of the bigger girls, named Agnes.

"What are you smiling about? Your not gonna get picked, your such a baby!"

She took Heathers doll and threw it to the other side of the room and shoved Heather to the floor.

Heather lay on the floor crying.

"Excuse me, what did you do that for?"

Agnes the girl that shoved Heather to the floor, stood there with her mouth open, speechless, she had never gotten caught doing mean things, she got caught by a man with dark brown eyes that were now piercing Agnes with a glare. He had Heather's doll in one hand that he caught when Agnes threw it.

"I asked you a question."

Agnes bit her lower lip, "I don't know what your talking about."

The man walked over in front of Agnes,

"You do too, know what I'm talking about."

Miss Reeds came in the room at that time.

"Is something wrong?" seeing Heather on the floor crying, "Why is Heather on the floor crying?"

The man walked over to where Heather is.

"Hey little one, can I help you up?"

Heather quite crying as she saw the man with the brown eyes kneel down to her.

"Uh-huh." she reached her arms out, and he picked her up, smoothed out her dress, handed her dolly to her, then stood up holding Heather in his arms.

"Agnes? answer me. Why was Heather on the floor?"

Agnes hung her head. " Cause I shoved her down then threw her dolly across the room."

Miss Reed glared at Agnes, "Oh I see, well since you want to pull something like that you can go to my office."

Agnes gasped, "But!"

"No, buts Agnes go! I do apologize for this Mr. Malik, usually they are on their best behavior, I would not blame you, if you don't adopt any of the kids today."

Agnes went to Miss Reeds office.

"Oh I think I like this little girl," Zayn said while holding Heather close, she had stopped crying and had rested her head on his shoulder.

Miss Reed smiled, "Well, I think Heather would like that, wouldn't you?"

Heather picked her head up long enough to nod her head yes, then put it back down on his shoulder.

Miss Reed and Zayn laughed, signed the papers and Zayn and Heather left the orphanage for their new life together.

(Tell me what you think)