12 - "I've been waiting all night to do that, baby."

Start from the beginning

"Who's buying?" I ask as he pulls out a credit card.

"Walter Tank." He winks.

The night of my commencement from Columbia University is one I will never forget. I went on my last NYU bar crawl, because fuck Columbia's nightlife (or lackthereof) with my family, and two people who have grown to become part of my family. We went to CBGB, where I worked, Reservoir, Sly Fox, Milano's, The Thirsty Scholar, The Library, you name the NYU bar, we were there, and we were buying drinks for the whole night. Heath kissed his first college girl, and Ricki wound up going back to Annie's apartment with her, leaving me with the dads and Dean.

"We're heading back to the house." John says, holding Heath up. The kid can barely stand up he's so drunk. "You got her?" Dean nods.

"Yes sir."

"We'll see you two tomorrow." My dad says, and then walks off, leaving me with my ex-lover.

"So, how've you been for the past four years?" I ask Dean, not bothering to hold back my smirk.

"Like you really care." He says, sliding a hand up my thigh and I smile.

"Of course I care." I put my hand on his knee. "You tell me about your four years, and I'll tell you about mine."

He recaps his four years to me. He hasn't talked to Sam since he left for college, and I talk to Sam at least once a week, but he doesn't need to know that. He's been on hunts, he tells me about a few of the big ones, and then he's done. He's done nothing eventful, apparently.

"My four years have been busy. I've been in grad school. I'm up to my knees in debt, but starting next week, I'm working in a Midtown clinic on special cases, which means crazy people who think they've seen monsters. I cannot wait to start there. If anybody's seen some shit in their life, it's me. They said to me, that I was their perfect candidate, because I said that I travelled all over the country, so I've seen all the crazy people possible. Uh, I dated someone for a while, that was weird."

"How long is a while?"

"A little over a year."

"Why'd you dump them?"

"How do you know I dumped them?"

"Because you're an independent bitch that takes nobody's shit."

"That, my good friend, is true." I say, my lips ghosting over his.

"Dean!" Hannah, one of my girls from my first year as an RA who just so happens to be one of my best friends, shouts, and his eyes fall to my lips and then he turns, to see who called his name.

"Hannah." He smiles, and gets up, hugging her. "How've you been, sweetheart?"

"I'm good! How have you been? I haven't seen you since I was a freshman! I just graduated!"

"I'm just fine." He lies through his teeth. You can tell that he's exhausted. He hasn't slept well in a long time, but he always sleeps well when I'm by his side. I know he can't wait until we're sleeping. Or maybe until the hour or so before we're sleeping. "Congrats on graduating, by the way."

"Thanks." Hannah smiles. "I'll see you around, yeah?" She does a dramatic wink to me, and I roll my eyes as she walks away.