(1) The Prick

How do I make the phone ring?

Why do I even care?

How are you all around me when you are really there?

Cause every time I am with you, I go into a zone

And I remember all the places you wanna go

Take me all the way

Remind me why are we are taking a break?

Its obviously insane

Cause we both know what we want

So why don't we fall in love?

~*~*~*~

That Prick!

He is choosing to wear the shirt I gifted him on our anniversary, on the day that we are finalizing our divorce?

He is looking at me with his 'I am so disappointed in you' expression. Which in the past few months I have been getting a lot. I look back to the last time we stood in 'our' bedroom and talked about our relationship before I finally moved out.

He stood towering over me and held me by my shoulders. He looked me in my eyes and said, "Come on Mira, don't be an idiot. Everything is fine." He had gotten back from work sooner than usual and caught me packing all my stuff.

"No, it is not. We have a lot of issues, Aman. You may ignore them but I can't anymore." I said as tears welled up in my eyes. Fuck, no tears! Now I won't be able to talk.

"So you want to leave me? " He said as he back away and crossed his arms. There was a pained expression on his face. I looked in his eyes. I couldn't even say the words. Of course, I did not want to leave him. I just wanted to forget everything and be in his arms again. Forget that he left me when I needed him the most. We would talk like we usually do, or make love and be off to sleep. I would be safe and fine in his arms and the next morning, everything will be fine and same as usual. Us fighting who will make breakfast, like we usually do.

I literally felt something stabbing me in my chest when I thought about how this won't happen anymore. But it hadn't been happening anyway. Not since we lost our baby. 

"Say something," he pestered.

"Yes, I do."

"Mira, you are being dumb. You know I love you." He took me in his arms again. "And I know you love me. We have faced some tough times but whatever it is we can make it work baby."

"Of course, I love you." My voice broke. "But why do you then do the things you do?" I asked him. I don't even know how many times I have wondered, why he lies to me, why he purposely makes me worry all the time. "Now I find myself wondering the dumbest things. Why is he not calling me back? Why isn't he picking my call? Where is he? And you know, I am not the clingy types. You have been with me for seven years. I can't live like this anymore. I have no peace of mind anymore when you are not right there in front of my eyes. I have become what I am most definitely not! I am the kind of woman now that I usually make fun of!"

He looked angry now. "I have not done anything to make you not trust me," he said sternly. "It is not my problem that you are so insecure."

I said nothing. When he was angry, he was really angry. There was no arguing with him. "I have done everything in my power to convince you that I love you and I am not going to leave you. Why can't you understand? Why can't you fit that into the overactive imagination of yours? There might be something wrong with me but it is YOUR HEAD CAUSING ALL THE PROBLEMS." He said raising his voice in the last part.

I was done. I wasn't going to argue anymore.

"Maybe."

"I give up, Mira. You are right, lately, all you do is pick up fights and I spend my time convincing you. I have to tell you the same thing again and again. I can't do this anymore."

There came the words I was always afraid of hearing. I did not want to start crying in front of him, I took my bag and rushed out of our room as quickly as I could. Mentally thinking, that I would ask my sister to pick up all the stuff. I took one last look at the house that we both turned into our home together. I wasn't going to stay there anymore.

As tears took over, I somehow managed to get inside my car and drove away.

We are separating.

**

As I saw him signing the papers, I felt like I was dying inside. Was it easy for him? Did he feel the same things I did? All I felt was how I won't see his face anymore first thing in the morning. Just small things like this turned my eyes into waterfalls. I felt pathetic and so miserable. I had friends, motivating me all the time and my family supporting me but nothing worked. There was still a voice deep inside me screaming to take the pen away from his hands. Ask him for forgiveness and just go back to our home.

'Our home', I guess it is his now. I was an independent woman and earned well myself, I did not want anything so it wasn't much of a hassle. I was taking what was mine and nothing else. I did not own the house though, he bought it as a wedding present. For now, I was going to stay with my mother before I find my own place.

We were done signing the papers. Our respective lawyers stood up and so did we. My mom tried to hold my hand but I let go. I just wanted to be alone. His father looked disappointed and his mother shot me death glares. She was always against me, I don't even understand why is she so upset about this.

"I hope you find your peace of mind." He said as he left and his parents followed.

**

Hi, if you have already read this book or if you love MIRA AND AMAN already then don't forget to add the second part of this book to your reading list!!