Chapter Thirty-Four - Lies and Confusions

Chapter Thirty-Four 

The crows circled aggrievedly overhead, screaming disgruntled squawks that turned Melody's stomach. It was all too evident with the scraps of fabric littering their hooked claws what they were after. She was just glad that they wouldn't be able to find Snape.

"Come now, will anyone see sense?" Voldemort repeated, smirking slyly as his narrowed, glinting eyes ran across the crowd who shrank under his gaze. Bellatrix simpered slightly, tongue flickering in and out of her mouth as she stood proudly beside him. No-one moved.

No-one even dared to breath as Lord Voldemort slipped his wand effortlessly into his hand, fondling it gently as he rolled it between his fingers, waiting for someone to step forward across the cobbles towards him. He didn't have to wait soon, however, as the sound of slow, laboured footsteps echoed across the mournful party.

Melody allowed her gaze to linger upon Harry's lifeless body for a moment before painstakingly slowly lifting it to meet the Dark Lord's frightful gaze. He stopped smiling as she continued walking forwards, determined scowl furrowing her brow as she came to a halt only one metre away from him.

"Come now child," He opened his arms as a gesture of welcome. "There is room for a pure blood witch as yourself in our ranks."

"I don't think so." She hissed, lips curled into a sneer as he raised his eyebrows, eyes darkenning dangerously.

"Oh?" Melody broke into a broad grin, fingering the wand within her pocket as his head tilted almost childishly to the side, watching carefully.

"Enough people have died today, Riddle." She growled and his wand was swiftly at her neck, spindly fingers curling round the stem so his rancid, yellow nails were scratching her skin.

"You dare use that filthy muggles name?" He roared and she smirked.

"No-one else will be killed in this war. You have claimed too many lives already, no-one else will suffer."

"And you think you can stop me, do you? Harry Potter is dead! Your wonderful saviour is as cowardly as you are, he died running away like a child-"

"THAT'S A LIE AND YOU KNOW IT!" Melody screamed, eyes narrowing as her hair billowed wildly around her vivid pink cheeks. "He was brave, the bravest person I ever knew. So were all the others you brutally murdered."

"They were not brave!" He snarled as Nagini curled around his ankles. "They were weak, pathetic. They allowed themselves to die! If they were so brave, tell me, why didn't they survive?"

"There are worse things to fear than death." She growled and he laughed a cruel, high laugh.

"There is nothing worse than being killed at the hand of your enemy."

"I'd rather die than live like you." Melody hissed before being thrown roughly backwards, landing heavily upon the floor as she lifted a hand to her bleeding lip, watching Bellatrix as she snarled.

"HOW DARE YOU TALK TO THE DARK LORD LIKE THAT!" She slashed her wand and a deep, scouring cut scraped across her chest. "YOU RESPECT HIM!" She slammed her wand down again, causing another gauge to be scratched across her skin. "YOU FEAR HIM!"

"I DO NOT FEAR HIM!" Melody screamed. "Not anymore! You should fear me! I've lost the man I love, there is nothing to stop me now, to hold me back!" She got unsteadily to her feet, glaring at Bellatrix who was growling as she raised her wand.

"You filthy blood traitor." Bellatrix snarled. "You make me sick, sick that such disgusting blood could infect mine. You and your whole disgusting, repulsive family should be killed!" Bellatrix began to laugh wildly as Melody stumbled towards her, wand held so tightly in her hand it was a wonder that her knuckles didn't tear through the skin.