Chapter 18- Zayn

~Sorry 'bout the long chapter. I was just trying to get the last bit of this all together. Forgive me? :)~

As inviting as Niall and Liam and Harry and Louis had been, the only thing that had truly kept Zayn around was Perrie. They hung out almost every day, but Zayn wasn’t sure of her feelings for him. Sure, she would smile broadly at him whenever they saw each other, and she would laugh just a little bit louder at his jokes than anyone else’s, and she marveled at his artwork and told him she loved his poetry and singing voice, but Zayn tried to blow it off as her being nice.

Zayn tiptoed gently around her. She was a small girl, very thin and she seemed… Fragile. Zayn would tense whenever Liam would clap her on the shoulder to say something or pull her into a tight bear hug. Really, he would get nervous when any of the boys looked at her, but Liam really set him on edge. The boy’s massive size and strength made him look like he could break anyone in half just by touching them.

Don’t go near her! Zayn wanted to shout when Liam would reach out for the keys the elevator panel. Perrie would hand them over like she would any person and not some massive bear of a man. Don’t hurt her. You’re going to hurt her!

He would get jealous when anybody else had her attention. He couldn’t help it. Zayn was afraid he was falling in love with the girl. He wasn’t afraid of loving her, but he was sure as hell afraid of her not loving him back.

She was someone Zayn wanted to keep safe. Forever. She saved Zayn, and someday, he was going to return the favor.

* * *

“Psst!” Zayn was suddenly pulled away from his dreams by a weird noise. “Psst! Zayn!” The voice whispered.

Zayn groaned in his sleep and rolled over, but he kept his eyes closed.

“Zayn!” The voice whispered again. Zayn heard the floor creak only slightly as someone approached his bed. They touched his shoulder and Zayn groaned again. “’C’mon, Zayn,” Perrie’s hushed voice told him.

“What do you want,” Zayn asked sleepily. “I’m sleeping.”

“Get up. There’s a parade and I was wondering if you want to go.” She shook his shoulder slightly.

“A parade?!” Zayn sat up quickly in bed and looked at her with a huge smile on his face. His smile disappeared as quickly as it came. “No.” He said flatly before throwing the covers over his head and curling up in bed again.

Zayn heard Perrie sigh and walk around the room, throwing open the curtains to his 3 sided window bedroom. Zayn pulled the bedsheets closer to his face, but he couldn't block out the morning sunlight that spilled through the glass and into his closed eyes.

“Come on!” Perrie wined when she was finished.

“No,” Zayn said in the same tone as before and curled up tighter.

“Come on, Zayn-”

“No,”

“Come on, Zayn-”

No!”

“Come on Zayn!”

Their childish argument continued until Perrie started shaking Zayn's shoulders again. When that didn't get him up, she climbed on his bed and started jumping near him so it would throw him around the mattress.

“Come on Zaynnn!” Perrie giggled as she jumped.

Zayn threw off his blankets and rolled over on his back to look at her. Zayn put his arm behind his head and watched her jump around for a minute. Her hair bounced around her smiling face and her shirt kept coming up just above her stomach the whole time.