Chapter 13- Niall

A faint beeping sound gently roused Niall from the darkness. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around the completely white room. Niall could comprehend enough to realize he was in a hospital room. He looked down at himself and saw he was in a hospital gown with an I.V. in his arm and a heart monitor attached to his finger.

He could hear voices whispering from across the room and looked over.

“Louis,” He said sleepily.

The Doncaster boy turned away from his discussion with Simon and looked at the blonde. “Niall!” Louis rushed over to his bed with a massive smile on his face. “How are you?” He asked.

Niall smiled back at the boy. “I've certainly woken up in a better mood before.”

Louis laughed and Niall glanced up as Simon moved to stand behind Louis. There were two other people with them too. The dark haired one he recognized as Xavier. Niall had only met him a few times. But he didn't recognize the burly boy with straight brown hair.

Louis followed Niall's gaze. “Niall, this is Liam,” Louis said. “Liam, this is Niall.”

Niall raised an eyebrow. “The Pet?” Niall demanded.

Liam looked confused at the name and looked to Louis with a mixture of shock and curiosity on his face.

Louis looked at the ground and chuckled uncomfortably. “Yes, Niall. The Pet.”

Niall looked Liam up and down, taking in his muscular frame and thick arms. Then he threw his head back and burst out laughing. “The way you talked about him, I thought he was a scrawny thing, Lou!” He turned to Liam. “I'm surprised you haven't kicked his teeth in from the way he's treated you.” Simon and Xavier both chuckled and Niall continued to laugh, but it died down quickly when it made his head hurt again. He winced and shifted in the bed to sit in a more comfortable position. “Where's my parents?” He asked.

“They're out talking to some doctors in the hallway.” Simon told him. Niall nodded and grimaced as even that sent pain shooting trough his skull.

“So it's not good news, is it?” Louis asked, his face growing sad.

Niall shook his head. “The doctor told me a year at the most.” The words still stung, but Niall had grown accustomed to the pain they brought every time he thought or said them.

Louis seemed to be lost in though for a moment. “Niall,” He said quietly. “There's a possibility we could help you.”

Niall fought back a wave of emotions and questions that followed Louis' statement. Behind Louis, Liam shifted uncomfortably and cleared his throat. Simon looked at the huge boy with a raised eyebrow, but Liam only shook his head and then nodded in Niall's direction.

“How?” Niall asked, looking back at Louis.

Louis took a deep breath before he spoke. “I've told you that Simon and Xavier are scientists,”

It wasn't quite a question, but Niall still said “Yeah...?”

“Well, they invented something, Niall. Something... Amazing.” Louis smiled and it almost reached his eyes. “It...” His brow furrowed and he licked his lips, trying to think of the right words to say. He looked up at Simon. “I don't know how to explain it to him.”

“Then show him,” Simon said calmly.

Louis nodded and stepped back from Niall's bed and he gave the boy a nervous smile. “This is going to be really weird,” He warned his friend. “Just... Don't freak out too much, ok?”