Mortal!AU

Requested by @theenthebean and is also a contest entry for MessyTheAuthor 's MCGA contest thing! Yaaaay!

Blitzen was a senior; Hearthstone was a sophomore. Blitzen's life was a 20 on the scale of 'shitty life!', Hearth's was a 100.

They were the best of friends; inseparable during any break. Nine times out of ten, after school they were at the corner store, the café, the park, Blitzen's house. Anywhere but Hearth's place.

Hearthstone had told Blitz his long, dark past. Blitz had then proceeded bring Hearthstone down from a panic attack.

It had carried on like this for a long while. Then, a month before Blitzen's grad, Hearth's father had done it; Hearthstone was officially not his son any more.

Hearth had come to school the next day, eyes red and watery, and almost ran up to his best (read, only) friend and collapsed into his arms.

Blitzen, gently shushing the distraught male, carried Hearth into the bathroom and set him down in a stall, locking the door behind them. He sank to his knees, resting his hands on Hearth's knees.

What's wrong? Blitzen finally signed, as Hearthstone managed to calm down.

My dad, Hearth signed with shakes hands, he kicked me out, he disowned me, he- he told me to never come back or he'd kill me.

Blue eyes looked up into brown, tear stains on Hearth's cheeks. Who tells their son that?!

Back to crying. This time, Blitz had enveloped his... he didn't even know what they were. He had enveloped the sophomore in his arms, rocking and shushing and reassuring. At some point, he had started humming.

The vibrations ran through Blitz's chest and into Hearthstone, relaxing him and lulling him to sleep.

The bell had rang, but Blitzen had decided to stay with Hearth, let the younger get some much needed sleep. They both fell asleep on the dirty, cold, hard tile floor.

-

With a yawn, Blitzen was roused by a toilet flushing and hands being washed. For a few seconds, he was unsure of where he was and what had happened.

He quickly remembered, looking down at how peaceful his sophomore looked when he slept. It took only a few seconds for Blitzen to be absolutely certain that Hearthstone was coming home with him and they would live together.

Wait, his sophomore? When had that happened? Hearth wasn't his. Well, maybe Blitz had fallen-

No. No he hadn't. Definitely... definitely. He had fallen hard. He had fallen really hard for Hearthstone. His blond hair, blue eyes, terrible sense of fashion. The way he walked, his hands, his ears, his nose. The little giggle that he made when Blitzen made a joke, the blush on his face when he was cold.

So, he was in love. Oh well . That would hopefully not-

PICK UP THE PHOOOONE!

Blitzen's ringer nearly gave him a heart-attack. That thing was on silent... he thought irritably as he fished it out of his pocket.

"Shit..." he breathed.

Eight missed calls, twenty texts from mom. Three missed calls and eight texts from dad. He was screwed.

The most recent text read: 'If you don't respond in five minutes I'm calling your aunt.'

Quickly, he texted back. 'Mom, look, I'm fine. My friend was having a panic attack. We're sitting in the bathroom. Hey, uh, he was just kicked out by his a-hole of a dad, and i was wondering if we could take him home and keep him?'

A pause. Then his mom said 'call me'.

So he did. "Blitzen! Thank god you're alright, I thought something had happened on the way to school! So, what's this about your friend?"

"Well, you see, his dad is abusive because Hearth is deaf, and apparently he's the reason his baby brother fell down a well, which is an unpleasant story. But, apparently his father finally kicked him out. So can we, uh. Take him in?"

His mom hesitated before responding. "I'll talk to your father about permanent adoption, but for now he can stay as long as he needs to. Come outside, I'll pick you up."

"Thanks mom. Love you." Blitzen smiled down at Hearthstone, tucking a pale blond strand of hair behind his ear.

"Love you sweetie, see you soon." She then hung up.

Blitzen sighed, pocketing his phone. "Now the hard part..." he muttered.

He gently brushed his fingers through Hearthstone's hair, rocking him back and forth to wake him.

With a jump, Hearth was sitting upright in Blitz's lap, panicked.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, it's alright. You're okay..." he murmured, gently rubbing circles on his back.

Hearthstone relaxed as soon as he remembered what had happened. So, are we going to class?

Nope, my mom is going to pick us up and we're going home. It's the middle of lunch break. We fell asleep, the shorter man explained calmly. C'mon, let's get outside.

Hearth nodded, quietly standing up before twirling around and grabbing Blitzen's hand, tugging him up.

They bumped into each-other, face-to-chest. A warm blush darkened the both of their cheeks, Blitzen rubbing his neck and awkwardly looking down.

Quickly, they made their way outside just as Blitzen's mom drove up.

The two got in the back seat. "Thanks mom!" Blitzen smiled at her, sitting in the middle.

"No problem, love." She smiled back at them.

That night, after setting up the hide-a-bed, the two sat up with snacks and just 'talked'. But after a long spell, Hearthstone paused and raised his hands to sign something, but his hands never moved.

What's up? Blitzen queried, mouth full of chips.

Nothing, it was a stupid question. I already remembered.

Nah, tell me! Blitz seemed more eager, leaning forward expectantly.

Hearthstone sighed. Um, do. Do you like anyone...?

Blitz's brow furrowed in thought. What should I do? Do I tell him, or... he quietly thought to himself before deciding to go subtle.

Well, sure. He's tall, handsome... no, not handsome, beautiful. He's got the prettiest eyes, his hair is so perfect. He has the cutest laugh, the sweetest smile. His mouth looks so soft, kissable. He's definitely huggable. Terrible sense of fashion, not that it matters. He's still perfect. That entire time, Blitzen held eye-contact with Hearthstone, smirking slightly.

Hearth found himself getting increasingly more flustered, unable to look away from the knowing smirk and soft, dark chocolate-coloured eyes.

Guess who he is? Suddenly, Blitzen felt shy. What if-

He was right; Hearthstone's lips were soft.

After a moment, they parted, eyes wide and breathing slightly laboured.

Hearth slowly sat back, worrying his bottom lip.

Oh. I guess you know who he is.

A/N: Heyyyyy. I did a thing! So, this duals as a prompt and a contest entry. Hope y'all enjoyed!