Hearth's First Magic Trick (and Many More)

Hearthstone, locked up in his room by his evil and abusive parents, let tears fall from his eyes as he looked at the bruises on his back.

His pale skin was black, blue, and shades of greenish yellow from the beating he had gotten for 'ignoring' his parents. He was reading; Hearth couldn't help but be deaf, there was no spell that could fix his hearing.

There was as spell that could heal him. That took lots of energy, though. Energy he didn't have. He also hadn't tried to do anything rune magic before- only read about theories, and so that was also risky.

If I die, my parents might finally have what they wish for. If I'm still alive after this? Great, he thought to himself before pulling out the respective runestone and whispering the spell.

Hearthstone didn't have enough time to tell whether it had worked before he crumpled to the ground in a snoring heap.

----------------------

Hearth was getting the Heleim out of Alfheim, whether it killed him or no.

Squirrel be damned, I'm leaving this evil place. Came the determined thought as he stood by the opening for the World Tree.

He had been reading a lot lately, and so had the basic theory on how to get from Alfheim to somewhere else.

Reading in his room, feeding off of the scraps he collected while his family slept had made the elf thin as bones. There was always the problem of Ratatosk, or the carnivorous deer. Thankfully not the dragon or the eagle.

Taking a deep breath in, Hearthstone took out the proper stone and whispered the spell.

Of course, he immediately fainted but at least he was on the tree.

------------------

Sitting in Blitzen's living room, Hearth was watching the T.V while laying in his sun-bed, with the top open.

The dwarf came in just then, dressed for work in his fabulous serving outfit.

I'll be back soon, he signed with a small smile.

Hearth nodded, distracted by the television and it's interesting Midardian game. Soccer, the subtitles read every so often.

As soon as his stylish friend had left, he leapt out of the bright space and made for the bag of runestones.

Panting from the quick dash, Hearth found the right one and happily bolted for their kitchen.

~

Blitzen returned that night, tired and hungry. The scent of... Enchilada's? Was hovering in the air.

What's this? Blitz signed, upon spotting Hearth sitting at the table with two plates of enchiladas sitting before him- one at his spot, and one at the dwarf's.

Figured you would be hungry, came the smug-looking reply.

There was a small pause. Can you even cook? The shorter of the two joked.

Hearthstone looked awkwardly at his enchilada.

I mean, I may have used magic so it wasn't a complete failure? was the rushed answer. Oh well, let's just eat!

Changing into more comfortable clothes, Blitzen came back out and sat at the table.

The enchiladas smelled amazing, that much was obvious. The taste? It was perfect.

Hearth smiled nervously over at Blitz, who was devouring it.

At least he likes it, the elf thought with relief.

After they both had finished, Blitzen stood up. It was really good! He signed, looking very happy.

Striding over, he leaned down and hugged Hearthstone.

"Thanks Hearth," murmured the Svartalf.

Hearth may not have heard it, but the sentiment in the hug was enough to convey what Blitz meant.