Bruised and Battered

(SET IN SOME WEIRD AU WHERE THEY LIVE IN MIDGARD AND MAGNUS IS INFACT DEAD AND IN VALHALLA, BUT HAS NOT GONE ON THAT QUEST TO STOP THE WORLD FROM ENDING yet)

Hearth had a way of walking in the door; slamming it lightly- well, how was he supposed to know that it disturbed the neighbours?- before cheerfully striding in to greet his best friend and partner in crime.

What has been happening more and more recently is Hearthstone quietly entering, no- sneaking in at absurd hours of the morning, before creeping into the bathroom and passing out after doing some sort of magic. Something odd was happening, and Blitzen was determined to find out what it was.

He asked about it, several times. And several times, Hearth brushed him off or made up an excuse. So asking was out of the question, which left catching his buddy in the act.

Blitz had the perfect plan: sit up all night watching TV until Hearth got home. The hardest part would be staying awake.

Except, Hearth wasn't using the front door. Instead, Blitz caught the faintest ghost of his figure before the bathroom door was almost silently closed and then locked.

"Dammit Hearth," he growled under his breath.

The next plan was supposed to go so much easier. Blitzen would lock all the windows, then go wait for Hearth to get back. He'd be forced to use the door, and then Blitz could confront him!

But Hearthstone had his runestones, so of course he could unlock windows easy-peasy. And so he snuck by again.

Plan C went better than A and B, up until Blitz tripped himself. Plan D was flawless- but that was before he ran out of quesadillas. Okay, he was hungry!

Plan E was destined to work. Hearth snuck in through the bedroom window, his recent entry point. He crept into the bathroom, very gently clicking the door shut. He flicked the light on, turned around-

And came chest-to-face with Blitzen. A nervous expression overcame the tall blond elf, befitting the huge bruise blossoming over his eye, not to mention the long but thin cut across his cheekbone. That wasn't even accounting for the various cuts on his lips, the bloody nose and gods know what other marks hidden by the clothing.

"Hearthstone..." was all the dark-skinned dwarf managed before his best friend whipped around, flew from the bathroom and out the front door.

-

Hearth tore down the five-minute walk to the nearest world-tree portal, and opened it up. He came within an inch of passing out, but managed a five-minute break before running and climbing up to the branches that would lead to Magnus' room before Ratatosk ate him.

Hearthstone tumbled out of the branches with what was probably a loud whump! before getting up, quickly taking out the stone that would heal him, using it and passing out just as Magnus ran in with blonde hair strewn everywhere and Jack the Sword ready to attack.

"Who- Hearth?!" Before Jack knew what happened, he had been chucked halfway across the room with less than a thought.

"Hey, boss! Little warning before you hurtle me halfway to Timbuktu!" He complained loudly.

The complaint fell on deaf ears as the light Hearth was scooped up and placed delicately on the couch. It was morning, and overly-sunny by the time he woke up.

Hearthstone sat up with a heavy sigh, rubbing at the headache that made itself at home in his skull. The sun warmed his pale skin, the veins that had been prominent on his neck and various other areas slowly vanishing with the warmth.

Magnus appeared in the blue-eyed elf's field of view, a concerned look on his face.

"Hey Hearth," he attempted casually.