Chapter 53: Reunited

"What's going on..." My voice trailed off as I took in all the faces glowing with smiles.

"Well, we decided to get together to remind you how much you matter." James said as he walked over to stand with my closest friends.

I was in shock. I could not believe what was happening.

All of these people have been apart of my life somewhere, or another. They impacted me, changed me, made me into who I am, and constantly remind me of who I should be.

Opening and closing my mouth I tried to utter a word, but I couldn't. Finally, I just stopped to take it all in.

"Well, are you going to say something?" Jackie said with sarcasm.

I pursed my lips and cattily smirked back.

"Of course I was til you interuppted my thoughts."

Jackie just laughed. She knew I was just playing around.

Or was I?

"Honestly, this is the best surprise of my life. I have so much I want to say, but I know you don't want to just hear me talk. So I'm going to keep it short and simple.

You guys are my Ohana. I hope nothing tears us apart and no matter where we go in our lives, you will always hold a special place in my heart. The sad truth is someday life will take us in different directions and we will just become a memory. But the reality is what we create now will never change.

I hope we never fall apart, but if we do. Just know. I love each and every one of you. And my love for you will not change for anyone of you either."

With that the room erupted into a chorus of cheers and amen's. I heard a bottle pop of sparkling juice and laughter just coated the walls.

My parents were busy dishing out cake, my brother was playing card games with Mopey on the table, James had a guitar and the girls were giggling and laughing in the living room.

There were other people there mingling and getting involved in the activities, but I just took it all in.

Someday this was going to be a memory. And someday this will come to an end.

But for now we are reunited.

And for now...

I'll just try to make it last.

***********************************************

I opened my eyes to sunshine and drizzling rain.

Last night was pretty fantastic, but everyone has gone home.

Walking out to the kitchen and living room there was no mess. My friends are pretty good at helping clean up, so I just turned on the tv and made my way over to the coffee pot.

While the coffee was brewing I took in the scene outdoors.

Little rainbows were trying to take form through the rain and sunshine... but they couldn't seem to get a break.

Toasting some bread I just stood looking at my reflection in the window.

I weighed about 108 lbs and was stick thin.

I really should eat more... I thought to myself.

Eh, maybe next time...

I finished making the toast and sat down with my coffee..

Thinking about how great everything was last night my thoughts wandered back over to Merkley.

Screaming in the car. Trying to get out then waking up in the snow.

Walking back with cut feet back to the dorm trying to keep myself covered, but no one bothered to stop.

No one bothered to ask.

No one tried to help.

My stomach started to turn and I felt the acidity building up in my throat.

Lurching from the table I ran onto our deck and vomited over the railing.

The dogs were running around outdoors and ran over to the remains of my breakfast. They started lapping it up and barked for more.

Sorry guys... I thought to myself.

Sorry Sam, maybe next time you will be able to keep it down. My inner voice quietly said.

"Yeah, maybe next time..." I whispered.