Chapter 26: New York

“Trippin’ out

Spinnin’ around

I’m underground, I fell down

Yeah, I fell down…”

Avril Lavigne’s song ‘Alice (Underground)’ was playing on my iPhone as we made landing in New York.

I started packing up my stuff and when the plane landed I grabbed my Coach, messenger bag from the overhead; with that I made my way down the aisle following the other people out of the plane.

Glancing at my iPhone, I panicked and realized I should of called Rob before I even got on the plane. I hate being rushed, but what can you do?

I swiped through my contacts and made the call to Rob.

“Hello?” answered a masculine voice.

“Hey! This is Sam and I forgot to tell you that I made it to New York. I know, I should have called you before, but it was all such a rush and surprise…“ I got cut off by a guy who was reaching for his bag across from mine on the carousal. “But here I am at the airport-“

“Yeah and I’m looking right at you.” He said cutting me off.

And then I was breathless. There stood before me in a Banana Republic white V-Neck with the perfect fitting blue jeans, aviator sunglasses, short hair thrown up, and the perfect Toms was Rob; just as I imagined.

“I’ll-I’ll-I will… call… you back…” I stuttered into the phone.

“Hey, how was your flight?” He asked.

“Perfect. Smelling. Just awesome. Thanks for the first class ticket. Really so much appreciated… Yeah.” I was nodding vigorously the whole time. I could not believe he looked so much better in person.

“Perfect. Smelling?” He asked while raising his eyebrow.

“Yeah, you know the peanuts and champagne can really put you throw loop… Yeah.” I was grasping for straws and words and sentences that can actually make sense.

“How was your trip to the airport?” I asked trying to make him do some of the talking.

“It was alright. You know the traffic here isn’t as bad as people think. As soon as you adjust ya know?” He said with his perfect white teeth. Gosh he was killing me.

“Ya I totally know. Not yet but I will.” I said eagerly.

We were making our way to the parking lot now and then I noticed he was walking towards a very nice black Mercedes.

“That’s-that’s your car.” My jaw was dropping and my eyes were falling out of the sockets.

“Yeah, why? Is it not good enough for your expensive taste?” He said with a smirk.

“No.. no not at all. Not at all.” I said still trying to find a way to make it into the car.

Rob now had all my bags in the car and holding the door for me to get into this beautiful beast.

As I took a seat in the passenger side I noticed all leather interior, up to date sound system, and just black. Everything so smooth a black. So smooth I didn’t even notice him start the engine and drive out of the airport parking lot.

“How can you afford this…” I asked still in shock.

“I have a good job and I can afford nice things. But I still live in apartment. So maybe not quite everything I want.” He said this with distance.

“But still you have come so far. In such little time.” I said with awe to know he has thoroughly impressed me. Even if he feels like he’s falling short all the time.

“It’s alright! This week is about you and me getting to know each other.” Rob said excitedly.

“Right! So this baby got tunes?” I asked with a wink.

“Just plug your phone in here.” He said pointing at a plug in on the sound system.

And there we were blasting ‘Alice (Underground)’. I kept trying to change it, but it wouldn’t change. I looked at Rob when it played a third time, but he looked like he was elsewhere.

Well, at least I like this song.

“When the world’s crashin’ down

When I fall and hit the ground

I will turn myself around

Don’t you try to stop me”