Chapter 14: Curiosity

"Alex?" I said as I answered my now sweat covered phone.

"Hey, can we talk?" He asked.

"Uhm, why?" I more or less spit into the phone.

"Because I want to make things right." He said with such a heartbroken tone.

Oh the nerve of this jerk! I thought to myself. He thinks he can just waltz back into my life. Well, I don't think so if I have anything to do with this.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea." I stated. "You were pretty clear on what you wanted and you saw what you did to me. I'm not going to let you just do whatever you want. I'm not a fall back boy and neither am I on-call for your needs."

Wow that felt good.

"And I am not trying to do any of those things-"

"But you are." I interrupted.

"And I don't mean too." He let out a sigh and I just heard him breathe before you said, "I just want to make things right. You can owe me a conversation. Where are you?"

"I'm by the local bar." I answered.

"I'll be there just meet me by the entrance if fifteen." He said.

"Okay fine. But don't you for a minute think I'm doing this for you. I'm doing this because I'm not heartless and I am curious to hear what you have to say." I said.

"Alright see you soon." Alex said before hanging up the phone.

"Want some?" Eric asked while he was crunching on some snack mix.

"Sure." I said taking a handful of the assorted chips and things from the bag.

"Who were you talking to?" He asked.

"Oh some guy. He wants to talk and I said we could." I replied as I was slowly chewing on a chip.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He said as our gaze met. "You don't have to talk if you don't want too."

"It's fine. Uhm." What is going on!? What am I doing!?!?! "I should go downstairs. He'll be here in fifteen minutes and shouldn't you be leaving to get the drinks?" I quickly said before throwing the rest of the handful of chips into my mouth to make me to stop talking.

"Yeah, I should. Uhm, one more question. Well, observation I guess. The look on your face while you were on the phone was the face of someone that got his heart broken. So answer this one question. Why would you want to talk to someone that hurt you before?" He said with such precision and calmness that it hit me.

Why do I want to talk to Alex? I asked myself.

"I guess it's because I'm curious to what he has to say." I said with a little uncertainty but enough certainty to give a final answer.

"And curiosity killed the cat. Think about it." He said before walking away to get the list and figure out the final details.

I looked at the time on my phone. Ten minutes before he will be here. What should I do?

I started making a mentally making a list of things I want to talk about, but mentally threw that list away. What's the point? I am giving him a chance to explain himself and now I am trying to make it about me. How selfish and unfair is that. Now I guess I understand why people find it hard to talk to me when I always try to make it about me.

Five minutes before he'll be here.

I started to put my sweatshirt on before Katie approached me.

"Where do you think you're going mister?" She said while punching my arm.

Sweet Dee was following her and started to lick my hand and whine.

I started petting her head, "I'm going to talk to Alex."

"So Eric has told me." She said and started slowing nodding her head. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"No, but I want to be fair and hear him out." I said with a sigh.

"I will never understand you gays." She said with a laugh and started shaking her head. "Well, I guess that isn't fair cause us straight people do the same thing."

"So to be more exact it's us human beings." I said and playfully punched her back.

"Well, if you really want to do this I can't stop you. I'm not your mom or your best friend. We just reconnected this night, but I can tell you being the person looking from the outside. This is a terrible idea. You are just going to hurt yourself, because he's either lying or well... lying. He's lonely and just wants to get in your pants." She said this with such seriousness and I already knew this so it really hit home when someone who isn't apart of this could pinpoint like that.

"True, very true... But I need to see." I said breaking her gaze.

"Love sick fool. Well, if this was Eric I would do the same thing." She laughed.

"But it isn't Eric. You really got a good one." I said slowly smiling while trying to look for a bright side.

"True. Well, you better get down there." She said and opened the door.

"Thanks. See you on the flipside." I said.

"Yes, the flipside." She smiled. "Hey, if you tries to hurt you just scream. Okay? Sweet Dee and I will tear him apart." She said.

"Alright, I'll be back up don't worry." And with that I made my way down the stairs.

Curiosity will kill the cat and even I know that. I thought to myself. Now let's see what this jerk has to say.