Chapter XVI - Intricate

((please help my story grow by voting and commenting))

[Phil&Lucas Apartment, Central London, 6:02 am, M 21/11/16]

LUCAS: (opening the door) "Dan, what are you doing here?"

DAN: (standing awkwardly in doorway) "Phil hasn't been replying to my texts, so I came to check on him?"

LUCAS: (rubs his eyes) "You can see him if you want. He might be sleeping, though."

DAN: (follows lucas into phil's room, lucas stands near the door as dan moves towards the bed to examine phil, whispers) "Phil."

PHIL: (asleep, face paler than usual, drooling) "Hm."

DAN: (softly runs a finger over phil's cheek, whispers) "Sleep." (follows lucas out of the room and into the lounge) "What's wrong with him?"

LUCAS: "He's really sick."

DAN: (panicked) "Sick?"

LUCAS: "He must've eaten something dodgy. He wasn't feeling well for all of yesterday, so he stayed in bed. And then he woke up to throw up about half an hour ago, so I'm just going to wait a little bit in case he throws up again."

DAN: (they hear phil retching, winces) "Oh. I want to see him."

LUCAS: (raises his eyebrows) "Aren't you disgusted?"

DAN: "I'm not going to leave because sick is disgusting."

LUCAS: (shrugs, stands up and leads the way to phil's room, carefully opens the door) "Phil, Dan came to see you."

PHIL: (pulls down the duvet) "No, please go. I'm so sick and disgusting."

DAN: (moves towards phil, speaks defiantly) "You think I care?"

PHIL: "I care. Please go, Dan. I'll see you tomorrow." (gets out of bed, to lucas) "I'm going to shower."

DAN: (after phil leaves) "I'm not going."

LUCAS: (sighs) "I figured. I'm going to empty this bucket."

PHIL: (enters room a few minutes later, opens the cupboard looking for a towel) "I thought I told you to go?"

DAN: (standing next to phil's bed) "Stay with me for a few minutes, then I'll leave."

PHIL: (sighs, climbs into bed) "Why are you so desperate?"

DAN: (quietly) "Do you not realise how much I care about you?"

PHIL: (moves over in bed, lifts up the duvet for dan who eagerly gets in) "Fine."

DAN: "Thank you."

PHIL: (lie so they are facing each other) "You've been here almost every day since Halloween."

DAN: (chuckles nervously) "Is it annoying?"

PHIL: (laughs) "Of course, not. It's just that I think Luke is going to notice something and I don't know if you want that or not?"

DAN: "I thought you would've told him by now."

PHIL: "I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

DAN: "I told Ethan."

PHIL: "What exactly did you tell him?"

DAN: "I told him we were together. I mean, we're not really, but that's just easier--"