CHAPTER 25.

After a long drive back to Spectrum in silence, the silence carried onto our 10 minutes we've been sitting in the parking lot. It was pissing me off. I wanted to know what the hell he's been hiding. I was about to break the silence when he interrupts me." I was engaged once." He finally says. I looked at him. He kept his eyes on the wheel. He looked tortured. So the time has come. I sat back trying to keep calm and to listen and not judge." You remember when I said I dropped out of culinary school because of family matters." I did. He didn't wait for me to answer. He scrubbed his face." I was messed around with a model Joelle introduced me to—around the end of my first year. Her name's...Gean," oh my god, I remembered that guy from the party. A relative of Gean's perhaps? Maybe a friend even...come to shy on Joel or expose him? Who knows? Whoever he is and whatever happened....I'm not a fan. I don't like where this is going.

"Jesus," I called looking up at the ceiling. Lord, please tell me this as bad as my gut is telling me. Please.

"I knocked up her." He confessed. I looked at him." I denied the baby and abandoned Gean until her third trimester after months of partying in and sleeping with other women. I proposed moments after my daughter was born." He says with a sad smile." Lani was just...the most beautiful baby I've never laid eyes on...I fell in love immediately but no mattered how I tried I couldn't love Gean. So a month after I proposed, I began...seeking out and...I cheated on Gean repeatedly....with different women." He paused." She found out and became hysterical—threatening me to take Lani away. Just the thought of that killed me so...I tried and tried to love her but my efforts kept failing—then she had my son and I was done pretending—I moved out." I opened the door and got out." Aubrey!" He called after me.

I didn't look back. I didn't know how to take this. I mean, what if he does it to me. I'd be heartbroken. Oh my gosh, we haven't been using condoms for a few nights now. No! No! Could I have been so stupid? He grabs my arm and spun me around. One look at him made a tear escape my eye." Would you-you do that to me? Would you cheat on me?" I asked. Please don't lie if you will. Please. He ran his hand through his hair.

"I-I didn't know." He said. More tears fell and I had to hold back a sob." but I did sleep with a woman a few months ago and....she's pregnant." That made me suck in a sharp breath.

"Oh my—" I said in a soft voice," we're over." I yanked my arm from him and went into the elevator. I pressed the button before he had the chance to get in. I backed into the walk, before sinking to the ground, cradling my head. All I could think about was the pain Gean must have been though learning about Joel's constant unfaithfulness. It must have been hell and on top of it all, she's the mother of both of his children. The pain she must have felt looking at them and seeing the face of the person hurts her.....repeated without a care for her feelings. The door opened and I got up and walked to my desk, wiping my eyes. When I got to my desk, I sat down and dropped my head on the desk. I tried to calm down and figure out my next move. I sat up when I heard the elevator. I grabbed my bag.

"Aubrey please—"

"Save it!" I hissed." You know what...I quit. I don't think I can bear looking at you anymore." I stood up and walked to the elevator. Inches from it he blocked me. I glared at him.

"Move!" I hissed.

"Please just heard me out." He pleaded. I folded my arms and shifted my weight." I don't really know if the woman's baby is even mine—.

"It's not about the baby....you said it was a few months ago. I'm pissed because you hid this from me—and I can't trust you...Joel. I can't trust that you won't cheat on me." I stated.

"Aubrey...I can change. Let me show you I can change" he pleads cupping my face. He kissed me. I fought not to kiss him back. I pushed him away.

"I can't—can't trust you," I told him. I walked past him. I walked into the elevator. He walks to toward the elevator." Don't follow me!" I yelled. We stared at each other, I pushed the button, I reached into my bag and threw my access card at him as the door closes.