Chapter 23

Eliza fixed the bow in Peggy's hair, straightening it out.

"Thanks Liza." Peggy smiled. A bruise was forming on her jawline.

"Woah, Peggy, what is that?" Eliza grabbed her sister's arm.

"Oh, it's a bruise."

"From what?" Eliza questioned, worried.

"I got punched."

"What! By who? When? Where?" Eliza gasped.

"Clyde Barrow. Yesterday. In the hall."

"Why?"

"Because he's a grade A jerk face. I was just trying to help him out."

"You've got to report this!"

"That guy has enough going on in his life Eliza. I'll be fine."

"What? No! Come on, we're going to the counselors!"

"Eliza please. He'll know it was me who reported him."

Eliza released her grip. "I don't want him to hurt you anymore. Fine. We won't tell. But stay away from him."

"Gotcha." Peggy grinned, shooting finger guns. Eliza chuckled.

"You're such a dork!"

"Thanks!" Peggy shouted, running off.

Eliza turned around, colliding with Alex.

"Oh, sorry Eliza! Sorry. What's up?" Alex bumbled.

"Woah Alex, deep breaths." Eliza laughed.

"Sorry." Alex grinned, blushing. "Uh, so, wanna come to the dance with me?"

"Well of course I do!" Eliza laughed.

"Oh, yeah, duh. You're my girlfriend! I just had to double check."

Eliza shook her head, laughing. "We should get to class."

The bell chimed.

"Oh come on, late again!" Alex groaned loudly. Eliza laughed and ran to her math class.

•••

Nigel had been preparing all week. He was ready. He was going to do it.

He was going to ask Portia to the dance.

He slid into his seat, his heart hammering in his chest. She was sitting right next to him. She could see her curls from the corner of his eye.

"Hi." he finally choked out.

"Oh, hello again Nigel!" Portia smiled.

Nigel's heart fluttered. Her smile was so beautiful. He just wanted to burst the question out, but he knew he couldn't do that. But he couldn't manage to squeak it out like a normal human being either. He finally pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down "Will you go to the dance with me?" He flung the paper onto her desk and then buried his face in his book.

Portia slowly opened the note. Nigel tapped his foot in nervous anticipation. She read the words, a small grin appearing on her face. She scribbled something down, and then threw the paper back over to him. He slowly pulled the corners apart, revealing a single word.

"Yes."

•••

Davey was a mess. He was taking all AP and Honors classes. He was failing most of them. Of course, his definition of failing was an A-. But it felt like failing to him. He hadn't been able to spend time with his family in months. Every day he just sat in his room and did his homework, and in the morning he'd go on the paper route to earn some extra money. He didn't have any time for social interaction. His only chance to hang out with the newzies was at lunch. The rest of the time, he was busy writing or reading. He hadn't even found a chance to ask someone to the dance. He didn't even know WHO to ask to the dance! There was one girl. But she had to be taken already. She was smart, and pretty, and awesome. But he was sure every other boy had already asked, and been declined. But Eponine really was something else.

•••

[ Sorry for not updating, and for the super short chapter! What couples do you want to go to the dance together? ]