Chapter 10

Emmet looked around anxiously, unsure of where to go. He noticed one boy standing alone as well, looking fairly confident. He walked up to him.

"Hi." he said quietly. The boy turned around and smiled.

"Hello!"

"Um, I was wondering if you could show me where the criminal law class is?"

"Oh, well, I'm not really sure. Maybe you should ask Eponine..."

"Don't worry about it. What's your name?" Emmet smiled.

"Davey. Jacobs."

"Emmet Forrest. It's a pleasure to meet you." Emmet held out his hand. Davey shook it firmly.

"You too. Now where is Eponine..." Davey looked around. He was rather tall, so he could see above all the heads. "Eponine!" he shouted as soon as he spotted her. A small girl wearing a brown leather jacket popped her head up.

"Davey?"

"Come here!"

Eponine soon burst out of the crowd. "Yes?"

"My friend emmet needs some help getting around. Criminal law. I thought maybe you could help him?"

"Of course!"

"Thanks Eponine. You're the best." Davey smiled and waved as they walked off together, Eponine pointing and explaining where everything was.

•••

Portia sauntered into English class, secretly hoping that that cute boy would be there. She sat down in her desk, her eyes still glued to her book of sonnets. Oh how she longed to have the love described in these poems and stories. But her father didn't even want her to glance at a boy! She would have to settle on fictional guys for now.

The cute boy plopped down next to her, his own eyes staring at a novel.

"Hi." Portia squeaked.

"Huh?" the boy looked up.

"Hi?"

"Oh. Hello...wait...are you reading a book of sonnets! That one is my favorite!"

"Why yes, I am!" Portia grinned. "Oh, it's so wonderful isn't it."

"Absolutely."

They stared at each other, getting lost in one another's eyes. Portia blushed and turned away.

"And you still didn't get his name." she thought to herself, sighing internally.

•••

Eva shuffled down the hall, head down. She attempted to be invisible. This wasn't hard, since she was barely five feet tall. But somehow, Heather Chandler, the most popular girl in school, noticed her.

"Woah. Who's the little freak running around like her mother just had a heart attack and she's trying to get her to the hospital."

"I think that's Eva. Nice girl." Heather M. piped up.

"She looks annoying." Heather Duke scrunched her face up.

"Shut up Heather."

"Sorry Heather."

Heather approached the girl, standing tall above her.

"Hey shortie. You seem pretty confident. Wanna chat?" she asked.

"U-uh, yes!" Eva stuttered.

"I know, I'm very intimidating." Heather said smugly.

"Y-yes."

"What's your name?"

"E-Eva."

"Yeah. Look kid, I can help you out. You seem a little scared. Confidence is key. It can get you anything! Just as long as you've got that killer instinct. Don't be a doormat. That's all I've got to say. See you later." Heather pivoted and strutted off, leaving little Eva in the dust.

•••

Jack walked into the lodging house, a huge grin on his face.

"Hi jack!" Specs shouted.

"Hi Specs!"

"Why so happy?" Race asked, taking the cigarette out of his mouth.

"I saw Bonnie and Clyde fight!"

"Um, are you sure that's good?" Crutchie asked, poking his head out from behind the couch.

"Yes! Because there's a possibility they'll break up!"

"Ah, hoping other people hate each other for your own advantage. Classic Jack." Romeo chuckled.

"It's not like that. She's just so...Clyde doesn't deserve her, for one. She's way too sweet for him. That guy seriously scares me." Jack explained. 

"Then maybe it isn't in your best interest to get on his bad side." Henry suggested. Everyone nodded in agreement.

"DIE BIRDY DIE!" shouted Buttons from upstairs. Apparently he and Finch were playing video games again.

"Well, I'm gonna head to the roof. See you guys later." Jack saluted everyone and walked up to his spot, the roof. He pulled out a sketch pad and began to draw. But the only thing he could seem to draw was Bonnie. Jack shook his head. "How many times have I told you heart? She's taken. So stop." he thought to himself.

"Just stop."

{Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading this story! I am so grateful for all of your wonderful feedback. Please let me know what you think! Love you guys ❤️}