Chapter Twenty-Five

I felt two hands grab onto my shoulders and force me away from the window. I was shoved against the wall next to my window, my body being held against it and with one hand and another covering my mouth.

"Shh!!" My birth father hushed moving his face closer to mine, his awful smelling breath on my face. He stared at me for a second beige leaning his head over my shoulder and looking out the window at the police cruiser outside. He sighed flickering his eyes back to me as he moved his hand away from my mouth and touched my chin.

"Everything's gonna be okay." He whispered lifting my chin up. I flickered my eyes up to his as tears filled my eyes,

"I won't let them take you away from me." He added, then kissed me on the forehead. My head dropped slightly as I quietly cried to myself wanting this all to be over. He sighed at me.

Before he could say anything else, there was a loud bang in the distance making us both jump. He whipped his head toward my bedroom door as he took his hands off me. I knew that loud noise was the police and glanced over at my desk spotting one of my high school textbooks. I quietly reached over and picked up a textbook.

Just as he turned around back to me, I slammed it as hard as I could against the side of his head. Immediately he fell down into the side of my bed as I dropped the book on the floor, then ran out of my bedroom into the hallway.

"Ariel!" I heard him yell behind me as I ran down the hall and headed downstairs. As soon as I got to the bottom, I felt grabbed me by the shoulders and began violently pulling anyway, trying to get out of their grip.

"Hey it's okay. It's okay." A voice whispered. I looked up and saw a woman holding me tight as four or five cops rushed past us heading upstairs. The woman had shoulder length wavy brown hair and big dark brown eyes, wearing a pants suit, "My name is Detective Pierce. I'm a cop. You're safe now." She told me as tears streamed down my face. I nodded, then she guided me outside as I heard shouting upstairs.

Once we got outside, I saw the lights on all the police cruisers flashing and my neighbors outside staring at the house and me. The female detective brought me over to her cruiser parked on the curb and I slide into the back.

"Ariel." She whispered kneeling down in the car doorway. I glanced at her as she said, "I'm gonna take you to the hospital to get checked out. Okay?" I nodded. "Is there a family member I can call for you?" She asked and I nodded again.

"My dad." I answered whispering, "Jason Reed."

"Okay." She replied, then stood up and closed the car door. I looked out the window toward my house when he walked away and saw two police officers come out with my birth father as he fought against them and the handcuffs. He was yelling at the officers as they brought him over to the police cruiser parked in my driveway. He looked over in my direction and saw me in another police cruiser. He stared at me seeing the fear in my eyes as I stared back at him. The police opened the rear door and shoveled him inside breaking our eye contact.

My eyes shifted back to my lap as I felt the cruiser move pulling away from my house.