Chapter Two

ARIEL

The rest of the day dragged on like any other normal day. When the final bell rang, I was relieved to finally get out of here. I grabbed my things, shoving them into my bag, and left English class. As I walked down the main hallway, the sound of my footsteps echoed against the tiled floor, each step feeling heavier than the last. The anticipation of what awaited me at my locker made my heart race.

Stopping by my locker, I switched out a few notebooks before heading to the front of the school to meet up with my brother, Adam. I spotted him talking to someone with their back towards me and headed over to them, my stomach twisting with apprehension. As I approached, Adam caught my eye and smiled, but my own smile quickly faded when the other person turned around.

Kian Lawley.

I stood there frozen, staring at one of my bullies. I wasn't sure if he was going to do something to me with my brother standing in front of us. I hoped not. I didn't want Adam to feel like he had to protect me at school too.

"It's Ariel, right?" Kian spoke, raising an eyebrow like he was questioning my name. Acting like he didn't know me. Nicely played.

"Yeah," I answered, playing along. I turned to Adam for some kind of explanation as to why they were talking or how they knew each other.

"Ariel, this is Kian," Adam introduced us. "We both have film class and we're working on a project together." He explained.

"Anyways, what time should I be at your house on Saturday?" Kian asked him, continuing their conversation. My heart dropped inside my chest.

"Ten," Adam replied. Kian nodded, then glanced at me again.

"I'll see you around, Ariel," he smiled, then walked down the hallway beside us. I glanced at Adam, but he was already walking out the door. I followed him out of school and to the Jeep.

As the two of us drove home, all I could think about was Kian – one of my bullies, was coming to my house this weekend. For a stupid film project. Why did the universe hate me?

"So, how did you get paired up with Kian for your project?" I asked, looking over at Adam driving. I hoped he didn't pick Kian on purpose. Or vice versa.

"Mrs. Swanson picked our partners," Adam answered, then glanced at me for a moment. "Why?" I shook my head and shrugged.

"Just curious," I said, keeping my head down.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, pushing. "You seem worried," he commented, glancing over to me in the passenger seat. I sighed heavily, pressing my lips together. I closed my eyes for a moment, taking in a deep breath, then let it out with one long blow.

"It's nothing," I answered, opening my eyes. "It's just..." I didn't know what to say. I wasn't going to say, it's just I hate who your partner is. Or something like, it's just I'm worried about Kian coming over to our house because he bullies me. I grasped for something to say, a diversion from the awkwardness of Kian's unexpected appearance. 'I just really miss Mom,' I blurted out, my voice barely above a whisper. The ache in my chest intensified as I longed for her comforting presence, a stark reminder of the void her absence left behind

Adam glanced at me again as I flickered my eyes up to the window and watched the trees as we went by.

"We can stop by her grave if you want," Adam suggested, but I shook my head no, still looking out the window. The only thing I wanted to do right now was just go home and be alone for a while before our dad got home from work.

"I just want to go home," I said, sighing, resting my head on my palm.

When Adam pulled into the driveway, I at once got out and ran inside, not even waiting for Adam. I ran upstairs into my room and locked the door behind me, slamming my back against the door after locking it. I closed my eyes as tears ran down my face, thinking about my mom. I didn't know why, but I would have these little moments were out of nowhere, I would start crying. I remember what happened to my mom. I actually knew what happened.

Because I was there.

Photo Below as Caleb: