Chapter One

A R I E L

"Ariel!" My dad shouted from the second floor of the house. My twin brother- Adam and I were in the kitchen. Our heads turned in the direction of the staircase. "You and Adam better get your butts to school before I come down there and beat you little shitheads!" We glanced at each other, knowing he would go through with his threats. Adam grabbed his car keys off the counter as we walked out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"We're leaving right now!" He yelled up to our dad as we made our way to the front door. We rushed out, closing our sight behind us. Climbing into my brother's light blue Jeep Rubicon, we backed out of the driveway and headed to school.

Within twenty minutes, we pulled into the parking lot of Claremont High School. Adam parked in the first spot he could find and shut off the engine. I put my hand on the handle but hesitated to open it.

Adam glanced over, raising his eyebrows. "Ariel, is everything okay?" He asked, still sitting in the driver's seat. One hand holding his backpack he had just pulled from the back seat. I managed a nod, but inside, a whirlwind of fear and anxiety churned. Adam didn't know about the constant torment I faced from the group of bullies at school. He couldn't possibly understand the knots in my stomach every time I stepped through those doors, dreading the inevitable confrontation.

"Come on. We don't wanna be late." I said, then opened the door. Adam followed me behind, walking up the steps and into the building.

"Hey, I'm gonna go meet Bella before class." He announced referring to his girlfriend. "I'll catch you later." Before I could even say bye, he was already running down the hall, pushing past other students, then disappeared around the corner. I sighed heavily.

Great. I was alone.

My eyes flickered around the hallway, then I made my way to my locker. It slammed against the locker beside it as I opened my locker. My head kept glancing over my shoulder, making sure they weren't nearby.

But I was wrong.

As I turned around closing my locker, someone shoved me up against it. I looked up and saw one of my bullies – Jc Caylen.

"Hey, Ariel." He said with a smirk. Behind him, the rest of the guys circled around us, blocking any way out. My whole body shook as one of the others stepped forward.

"What's wrong, Reed? Miss you mom?" Ricky asked rhetorically. He cracked a smirk and punched my gut. Hunching over, I groaned in pain. Ricky was one of the strongest guys in the group next to Jc, so his punches felt like being hit with a wrecking ball. "Poor Ariel. Mommy killed herself so she didn't have to bore being related to you anymore." Jc grabbed my shoulders and shoved me to the ground. I covered my head with my hands as they began kicking me until the bell rang shortly for first period.

"Later, Reed." Jc teased, then gave me one last kick before they took off down the hall. I waited, the echoes of their mocking laughter still ringing in my ears, before cautiously lifting my head from my hands. The metallic taste of fear lingered on my tongue, a bitter reminder of the torment I faced daily. Tears filled my eyes and streamed down my face as I leaned against the lockers, then brought my knees up to my chest.

"Ariel! Are you okay!"

My head turned to my right and saw my best friend's boyfriend- Caleb, running over. He kneeled down beside me and gently helped me up, leaning my back against the lockers for support.

"Someone should really teach those guys a lesson." He mumbled, glancing down the hall. I shook my head no. The last thing I wanted was for someone else to get hurt because of me. His big brown eyes looked at me. I turned toward him, so we were now standing face to face.

"Thanks for your help, but I'm fine." I lied. "Don't beat up guys who are twice your size." His face had a very concerned expression. I knew he wasn't convinced that I was okay, but it wasn't his job to fight my battles. "Look, I'm fine, okay." I reassured him. "I'll see you and Julia at lunch?" I questioned, changing the subject.

"Yeah." He replied. My lips pierced into a smile, then walked past him. It quickly faded as I headed to my first period class. 

Photo Below as Adam Reed: