Mythology and Folklore Majors are Nut Jobs| part 2

Previous: His green eyes pierced hers and a shiver went down her spine before he licked his lips.

"Mine" 

Derek took another step towards the girl and clenched his fists tight. Damn it. What a good way to make a first impression on your mate. 

He had been out and needed to clear his mind after Scott's childish outburst today. He didn't mean to get this far into the woods, but he had lost track of how far he was going. He had never really been out this far but once he caught a whiff of her vanilla scent he had to keep going. 

And now there he was standing in front of her. His Mate. He felt a sense of longing tugging at him as all he wanted to do was get closer to her. Derek was a loner though, he wasn't supposed to be feeling like this. Derek could feel her fear and anxiety coming off of her in waves. His wolf cried out softly inside of him. He hadn't meant to make her scared. The thought of her being scared of him made him clench his fists tighter. 

Jess was looking at Derek confused. Mine? Why had he said that? Why was he just standing there looking at me like an idiot? 

Jess pushed off the ground, a little less frightened because of the familiar face but still on edge. 

"...uh, Derek Hale", Derek said fumbling over his thoughts. 

Jess looked up at him and cocked her head as she wiped her hands on the back of her pants, trying to get the leaves and dirt off. 

"I know who you are," Jess said curtly taking a step back from him.  

Derek stopped mid thought and looked her over. She knew him? How could he have missed her? She was so incredibly beautiful. She had dark golden skin and her hair hung past her shoulders in a curly mess. Her blue eyes stared at him and he couldn't help but feel the need to hold her close and never let her go. 

"Beacon Hill High school. We were in the same grade", she muttered rubbing her hands together. 

He cringed a little. That's why he didn't remember her. He tried hard to block out those years. 

"It's Jess", She said as if trying to conjure some sort of memory from Derek. 

"I don't remember" 

Jess shifted where she stood. He didn't know her, but she knew him. He had never even given her the time of day. She wasn't even sure if he had ever looked at her. She had looked at him though. She had wished he would notice her. It was funny to her now as she stood in the woods in front of this intimidating man. 

"Jess," Derek said testing out the name on his tongue. 

It rolled off effortlessly and he quite liked the way it sounded out loud and apparently so did Jess. She shuttered upon hearing him say her name and he thoroughly liked her reaction. 

Derek internally grinned and ran a hand through his hair. He felt a primal desire as he thought of her saying his name. 

"What are you doing out here in the woods alone?" 

Jess's head snapped over in the direction of her house. She knew it wasn't far. If she squinted and tried really hard she could see it from where she stood. 

"I was walking home. I just came from class", She said stuffing her hands in her pockets.

She felt somewhat uncomfortable. The way he was gazing at her was almost too intense for her to handle. It was as if he was trying to get a glimpse of her soul or something. It was, to be honest, creeping her out. His whole vibe had changed from when he was younger. He seemed more...dangerous? She shuttered. Why did she get this weird feeling coming from him? 

"Why are you out here?" She asked, truly curious as to why he was sneaking around and about scared the daylights out of her. 

Derek's face hardened and he looked away from her, "I was taking a walk". 

"Kind of a weird place to take a walk at", she mumbled looking away and raising her eyebrows. 

Derek panicked for a split second at the tone of her voice. Very sarcastic. He smirked a little bit. She may be a little firecracker. Of course she is, he told himself. Only my mate would be a smart-ass. 

"I'll let you get home then," Derek said his stomach turning a little at his words. 

He didn't want her to leave at all to be completely honest, but if he were going to do this he had to do it right. 

Jess nodded, "nice meeting you" and started towards her small house. 

She got a few steps away before Derek called after her.

"See you soon", he said before turning and walking the opposite direction. 

She chuckled non-humorously and kept walking towards her house.

"Probably not", she muttered to herself. 

She stopped for a split second as she thought she heard a low growl. She turned back to where Derek had been but he was gone. 

Jess crossed her arms around her and shivered as she made it back to her house. 

Did she really just hear a growl?

Maybe she was nuts.