Alternate Ending

"Y/N! Come get James!" Camila shouted from the kitchen and Y/N rushed downstairs to snatch her son. She'd barely gotten time to change, her wet hair dripped on the floor as she scrambled back upstairs. Out of the corner of her eye, Karla noticed Y/N carrying James so the little girl tossed her book aside and dashed across the house. Just as Y/N lifted her leg on top of the step, Karla sat on her free foot, wrapping her tiny body around it.

The pair of siblings giggled as their mother shook her head, wetting them with her undried hair.

"Babe, do I look alright?" Y/N gave up getting ready any further, walking into the kitchen to get Camila's opinion. Her wife hummed in approval, not turning her head back from the sink. Y/N huffed, trying to check her reflection on one of the utensils.

Ding!

Y/N shuffled to the door, struggling to turn the knob as James jumped from her arm to circle his arms around her neck.

As the door squeaked open, Niall and Ally chuckled at the sight of James monkeying around. Y/N smiled at the couple at the door, lifting her leg to try and shake Karla off but the little girl refused to let go.

Niall and Ally followed Y/N through the living room. Camila dried her hands with a rag and exchanged hugs with both of their visitors. She gave her wife a once over, biting the edge of her lip at Y/N's stylishly messy hair.

Camila leaned over to whisper in her wife's ear, "You look fineee."

She playfully winked and Y/N nudged her, handing James over to her. A non-stop knocking came from the door and Y/N trudged over angrily, swinging it open. Harry stepped inside, pulling down his sunglasses to get a look at Normani and Zayn at the top of the stairs.

"This is a family show!" He cupped his mouth to yell, and the couple immediately pulled away from each other. Y/N groaned at his obnoxiousness, sighing in relief as Karla fumbled back up to her feet to run into Harry's arms. She'd keep him quiet for a while.

"Where's Dinah?" Camila furrowed her eyebrows, the Polynesian was usually glued to him. James ran over to his uncle, and Harry lifted both his arms out, allowing the kids to jump on one each.

"She'll be here in a minute," He muttered, before turning his attention back to the kids.

Liam put his foot in the door to stop it from shutting, allowing himself inside to the gathering. Louis followed behind, smiling deviously and combing his hair to the side.

Y/N stopped him at the door, "Really, Lou?"

She commented on his low, red eyes. He flashed his teeth innocently, walking inside to take a seat.

As everyone circled around the living room, Dinah joined them, taking a seat beside Harry. The curly-haired boy removed his sunglasses, resting them on his new short hair.

"What the hell happened?" Niall reached over to touch the faint bruise around his brother's eye.

Harry smacked his hand away, "Some guy was looking at me funny,"

"Were you wearing something funny?" Liam joked, pointing to Harry's outlandish sense of fashion.

Harry chuckled, rocketing his glasses towards his brother.

Dinah sat stiffly by his side, studying the scar under Camila's chin when the brunette tilted her head back to laugh. She glanced at the faded scar on Y/N's lips, pawing her hand over her shoulder - where she sported a new scar of her own.

As they made banter, Y/N focused on Dinah's anxious tapping. She examined the hefty hand on her knee, catching sight of Harry's bruised knuckles. Her eyes ran up Dinah's exposed forearm, she swallowed heavily at the sight of bruises on her skin.

Harry caught Y/N's gaze, signaling Dinah to pull her sleeve down. The girl quickly obeyed, and Y/N felt tears well up in her eyes.

Harry's jaw clenched. His eyes showed remorse as Dinah ran a finger over his bruised knuckles.

"You have his temper you always will,"

"Family patterns tend to repeat,"

"We'll call each other out, and we won't be like him, deal?"

Y/N's head spun with thoughts, as her eyes discovered new bruises with every patch of skin on Dinah's body. A familiar heaviness filled her chest and her hand quickly clutched Camila's.

Shit.

Here we go, again.

--------

Author's Note:

After writing this book, another ending flashed in my mind. I definitely prefer this ending so I put more effort into it. To me, it makes it more realistic. This book has been completely revised and I've written & completed the Prequel. Which you can find titled as "Let's Get Lost."

I switched some songs around to help them fit in the story better. I hope I incorporated them well enough so they don't feel out of place. I also tried to keep ties between both books so hopefully, I did a good job on that.

If anyone reading this is in an abusive or toxic relationship, whether it be physical, verbal, or mental - do reach out for help if you can. There are so many hotlines & organizations set up to help you.

We should not romanticize toxicity, which is why I revised the book - to fix my mistake.

Remember to break the chain, keep healthy, and take care.