Chapter 9 | Early Morning

[Matthew's P.O.V] 

"Matthew... wake up." 

I closed my eyes tighter. 

"No, not yet." I muttered. 

"I made you breakfast." I heard in a whispering sound. Who the heck would wake up this early? 

"No, I make breakfast all the time," I almost exclaimed. 

"That's what Matt used to do as well. " I heard a giggle. "Oh, don't tell the others I used up all the pancake ingredients." 

I grunted and opened my eyes. No use trying to go back to sleep now. After all the groggy chatting we just had, I was still surprised to see [name] staring down at me. "I, uh- good morning." I greeted almost like I was asking a question. 

She smiled and pointed to a tray of pancakes on the bedside table. "I made breakfast! Just don't tell the others because I only made enough for us." She giggled. 

"You really shouldn't have bothered." I really appreciate that she cooked for me though. 

"It's to thank you for helping me upstairs last night. Oh yeah, and for waking me up to drink the pain killers too. You were practically my nurse." She passed me the tray while talking. "I'm not the best at cooking, but I tried. Not that that means I made it taste good, I just really tried." 

"It can't possibly be much more worse than Arthur's cooking," I joked. 

"Man, Arthur must be horrible at a lot of stuff. Magic and cooking, huh?"

Then something hit me. I almost forgot Arthur told me something last night. "Oh yeah! We're going to Arthur's tomorrow!" I stuffed some of the pancake she made in my mouth. 

Her eyes almost looked like they shone for a second. "WE ARE?"

"We just have to buy a bunch of stuff for Arthur's spell thing today." I said while chewing. 

"WHOA! We should get ready then!" She looked like she was going to burst right out of the room. 

"Breakfast first." I said while gesturing 'no' at her. She calmed down and grabbed her own plate of pancakes to finish it up. 

"Oh yeah, how's it?" 

"I think you should just let me cook," I said honestly. She shrugged. "Fair enough. At least I didn't food poison you."  

--- 

[Reader's POV] 

 I rummaged through the closet in my room. The closet was full of old clothes. They were for guys, but they were small enough to fit me. They were probably Matthew's. 

I know it's kind of desperate to look through Matthew's old stuff for clothes but I really have no choice. I grabbed a faded red 'CANADA' t-shirt, some old jeans and a belt from the closet and started changing. They're dusty and a bit oversized, but it's good enough. I mean, it would smell like maple if it wasn't for the dust. 

Once I finished, I combed through my hair with my fingers and stepped out of my room. I stretched my legs a bit since I actually can't feel them at times. After that, I ran down the stairs a bit more carefully this time, and threw myself on the sofa right next to Alfred. 

"Where're you going?" Alfred kept his eyes on the TV while asking. "I'm going to go buy some stuff with Matthew." He paused the show. 

"Can I-"