Fusion

Lapis had spent a long time at the water. Just enjoying it's touch. It was what Pearl said was night time. The sky had gotten darker and the stars had come out. She had went up the beach now.  Since she couldn't see much. Plus, the water was getting a little cold now. She got to the sand seeing Pearl sitting on a rock farther away from the shore. Which made Lapis confused, because she could've sworn she had left the beach awhile ago. Lapis tilted her head walking up to Pearl, sand sticking to her wet feet.

"Pearl?" Pearl jumped slightly as she looked at Lapis smiling.

"Yes?" She said in a gentle tone.

" When did you get back to the beach? "

Pearl smiled. " When the sun went down.  I like to watch it set...just like we used to.." Pearl trailed off.

"You and Rose?" Lapis sat next to Pearl, but not to close. So she wouldn't get her wet. Pearl only nodded looking at the water. "You two seemed close.."

"We were very close.." Pearl said quietly.

Lapis couldn't help herself and asked, "Did you two fuse?"

Pearl's eyes widened as she looked at Lapis. She seemed surprised.  " Well, at least..." Pearl tried to count the times that they had. But it seemed like to many to state a number so she simply said, "Yes we did."

"What was it like?" Lapis asked softly moving a peice of her own hair out of her face.

"You mean fusion? " Pearl asked.  Lapis nodded. Pearl sighed happily. "It's a special experience. You're one whole person. Not two. You have a special look, and weapon. With fusion, you both become stronger, stronger than you both were separate. " Lapis stayed quiet. " But that doesn't mean, " Lapis looked at Pearl as she went on. " That you both were weak apart. But now some things together are better. Such as balance. "

Lapis nodded. "If Ruby and Sapphire made Garnet...what did you and Rose make?" Lapis asked shyly.

" Rainbow Quartz! " Pearl said proudly the stars back in her eyes. Lapis giggled softly.

" I wonder if I'll ever fuse.."

"Oh I'm sure you will. Every gem here has. There'll be a time when you'll need to fuse, and it'll be beautiful."

"I can't wait.." Lapis whispered to herself looking up at the stars.