Chapter 19: Roots Of The Woods

About to leave through the iron gates, calling for me to leave this terrible place, a hand gripped over my shoulder like a dreaded claw. My heart panicked as I slowly turned over to the man behind me. "Now where are you going?" He asked. "Uh, Over to the Town" I replied through a quiet mumble. "I could give you a lift if you'd like" he offered generously, I recognized this man, he was the first one I met, the man that took me from the start at the bar. "No thanks, I'll be taking the bus" I lied, hoping there was a bus stop nearby. "Why, That's about a 3 miles walk" his voice started to become more flat and suspicious as his eyes scanned me. "I enjoy taking a small walk every now and then" I breathed he started leaning down to my face, trying to lock eyes with me, but I quickly pulled away and started walking off, as calm and collected as I could manage. Taking deep steady breaths, I carried on my determined walk, I wasn't going to be stopped now, the sun was finally starting to rise, filling my heart with hope each step I took towards it. "Stop now. or I'll shoot" a stern voice called out to me, yet I contuined my walk, going a tad faster and nervous now.  A gun shot fired, piercing my ears. Turning his gun towards me, after facing it towards the sky. "I will shoot."  looking behind him, I could see men running from the mansion doors to the gates, whipping their pistols out of their coats and pockets in a rush.

Not hesitating, I ran into the dense woods, like a rabbit fleeing from a flock of blood-thirsty, adrenaline-driven wolves. Like fuck I'm going to be caught at this point. "Get the maid!" a voice shouted. Pushing myself past the leaves and foliage, I tried desperatly to find a route of escape, or some form of hiding spot in these barren yet thickly covered woods. They were going to catch up eventually, I came to terms with that. My recently twisted ankle throbbed in pain as I pushed it to its limits, it hollered at my nerves like how a ornery child would to it's parent after getting a slight scrape. Yet thankfully, in the corner of my eyes, I spotted some over grown roots, a perfect place to hide. Taking my chances, I ran over to them and shoved myself hurriedly under the mossy cloak of wood.

Covering my mouth with my hand, I tried to calm my panicked lungs and all my adrenaline seeping into my veins. Calming my breaths, footsteps crunched against the leaves, and hurried towards me. Holding my breath, I tried desperately to think of a new escape plan. They know where the bus stop is... and I can't hide in these woods forever. Burying my head into my knees, I closed my eyes. I don't want to go back. I won't. Not ever.