Chapter 17: The Deer And The Hunter

Although the darkness surrounded me in the silent room, my stubbornness didn't waver one bit. Shifting in the covers, I stared up at the ceiling like it was my worst enemy, I'd do anything at this time for the refreshing weightless feeling of sleep at this hour of night. Moving my head to the other side, I noticed that sans had fallen asleep in the chair instead of leaving like he promised. It had been 2 hours since he first sat there... he must have been exhausted.

An emptiness lived in my stomach, as it'd whine at me like a puppy caught in a storm. My eyelids feel bruised, yet they would show me no purple. My throat scratchy like claws were scratching up and down my lungs. The tips of my feet, and fingers grew colder by the day, as if I was losing my soul in this place, as the rest of my joints all felt raw and as stiff like a rusty leash hook. I'd become weak. Taking in a few deep breaths, I hugged at the covers like it was a teddy bear. I desperately tried looking for some type of lingering comfort in this scarring place.

"stop...." a small mumble sounded my way, looking up from the covers, he still seemed sound asleep letting out a light snore. About to go back into the covers, another word went to my ears "please..." staring up at him, he was still in a deep sleep. "Just stop already... Please." his limp body started acting more aggressive, Reaching out a curious hand I, stopped myself. Sans suddenly jolted up. White irises soon stared down at me sharply. Soon the blinding blue glow dimmed and soften at my sight. "Are you ok?" I questioned, my voice barely reaching over a whisper. he soon put a hand to his head ..... Skull....... Sphere........

"I'm alright" he assured in a slow,tired, highly unconvincing undertone. "you're lying" I stated but he just shrugged, watching his labored movements, anyone could tell he was lying. "You look like you didn't get much sleep either, did you?" He mentions, trying to avoid the topic. Tolerating it, I nod my head silently. A cold boney hand was placed atop of my head then glided upwards moving my hair away. "You gotta sleep some time sugar" he stated, a tinge of worry underlining his every word. "Yeah..." I pouted towards his obvious fact. "I just can't" I frowned "I won't."

"What did you dream about?" I mentioned, turning the tables to him. He seemed to freeze up at the question. "You were mumbling in your sleep" I explained slowly. His eyes glanced up at me. "It's nothing, trust me" he lied. "Tell me, please! I told you mine" I urged, leaning across the bed eagerly. Grudgingly, he let out a sigh. "Do you remember.... Back in college? When we first met..." he asked, trying to straighten himself up. "Most monsters weren't exactly used to that kinda life... And it wasn't a walk in the park with some humans either..." he started "I remember back when they'd use to torment me, harass me and beat me up every day. Soon I wouldn't want to go to class or leave my place, soon I'd start protecting Pap all I could from dealing with people like them, soon I wanted to see their sorry asses running away from my pistol" his once frightened composure grew as cold as ice, I quickly began to draw backward from him

"No matter what I did, no matter how much I reasoned with them, they wouldn't listen. And well, by that point, I'd already dreamt time on time about slaughtering them one by one like deer,-" I stopped him there, knowing who would be the most likely victim if he went on any further, I interrupted him with the most caring hug I could conjure "Don't think about things like that" I began "Just think about this moment right now. Being still together with me in this moment" I slid my arms further around his bony chest. In my head, I desperately wanted to run, but he was a wolf, and I was a rabbit, I need to be witty enough to survive this place. He started to tear up, and slowly started hugging back, his breaths got slower and calmer, as my eyes grew heavier. I soon dragged myself along with him onto the bed and closed my eyes. his breath tingling my skin as he pulled me even closer to him. I tried pulling back a little, only causing his grip to tighten. Giving up quickly, I just rested my chin on his skull as reality turned into a dream.