Chapter 15: Still Alive

Opening my door, I walked down the hall to find _____'s door wide open. Did she forget to close it? Peering in, the room was abandoned, as if on cue a few men went rushing down the corridor, the screams got louder. Staring down at the stairs, I called her name "_____" her head turned slowly towards me. Her face was panicked and tears spilled from her eyes but once she noticed me, she forced her breathing to be more tame. "Let her go." I ordered in the coldest tone I could conjure, as the men retreated from her side like raccoons scurrying away from a wolf "Leave" they obeyed to my whim as I reached her side. I knelt by her, abruptly changing my attitude "What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I questioned, as she grabbed onto my shoulder blades like they were the railing to a roof and she had nothing under her feet. Her hands shook against me. "I-I..." she started hyperventilating "Breathe" I urged "Just Focus On Breathing" she focused more on taking deeper breaths. Picking her up in my arms, I took my time going up the stairs. Savoring this moment of her in my arms, just where I want her to be. Once we reached the balcony, I reluctantly placed her on the metal bench as I took the place next to her. her breathing began to finally calm down. Taking a deep breath myself, I sat beside her. Although she seemed to be more at peace than she was moments ago, she still sobbed and let out hiccups every so often, mumbling incoherent words every so often.
----

Taking in the crisp dawn air put me at ease. "want to talk about it yet?" Sans questioned beside me, lighting a cigar casually. Turning to him, I let out a small sigh. Leaning over, I took the cigar from his hand and chucked it over the the railing. "F-fuck your cigars..." he seemed suprised by both the statement and action, but didn't dwell on the moment and just slouched on the metal bench. "I....... I had a nightmare..." I felt so pathetic saying such a childish phrase. Wiping at my my face, I tried to control my tears again. "mind me asking what happened?" Sans questioned, his voice softer then usual. ".... It felt so real........." I mumbled lowly, trying not to tremble under the fear of the realisation.

A hand was placed on my shoulder gently. "The scratching, A-and that rotten, grotesque scent" instinctively I shivered. Desperately, I tried to clear my mind and forget everything that had happened. An arm lingered round me like a snake, as if asking for a sign of permission to give comfort. Leaning into him, I tried my hardest not to go back into tears. "One's already happened. I c-can't let another happen. I can't. " my voice muffled into his shoulder, but I could tell he could understand my words. "Quiet. Just forget about it all. It was just a dream. Something your head made up. " He came across as so uneasy.... was I really that much of a mess? Closing my eyes, I tried to concentrate on steadying my breaths again.