Chapter Seventeen

The next night, Charlie woke me up, the second the sun was down. We went outside and I trained with Derek all day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Right now we were two days away from going back into werewolf land, to finish what we started, and once again I was training. I was getting sick and tired of it to be honest. All I had wanted to do was learn a couple tricks, and Charlie had turned it into a freaking army combat training.

"Okay, okay stop!" I yelled, ten minutes into today's session.

"What is it?" Charlie said, as if he was noticing me for the first time.

"I'm done. I didn't asked to be trained, not like this. I did just fine out there last time, this time won't be any different. So if you don't mind, I'm going for a walk... Alone." I ranted, shooting daggers at Charlie. I walked away leaving Charlie and Derek speechless.

"She has a point Charlie." Derek said quietly.

"I can still hear you!" I yelled. I knew my emotions were a little out of control since the change. Like my senses, everything I was feeling had also been heightened, whether it be physical or mental. I knew I wasn't completely mad at Charlie but, it felt good to yell at him. The over protective routine was really starting to grate on my nerves. I liked having him there, protecting me when I was human because I really was defenceless. But now I could take care of myself, he didn't need to look over my shoulder every two seconds anymore.

I carried on walking deeper and deeper into the woods. I hated waiting around here, I was hoping that we could attack all the wolves and start our happily ever after within a couple hours, but I knew that wasn't going happen. I felt that the longer I stuck around here, the more attached I would become to the familiar surroundings in the human areas. But I couldn't do that, because that wasn't my life anymore.

I sighed deeply and sat underneath one of the trees. I listened out, trying to see if anyone else was out here, but I was on my own. I just caught Derek saying something about 'giving her space' which probably meant me. All the other vampires were staying indoors, saving energy for the next big fight. They were so determined to get out from under the wolves paws, they were up for another fight, without even thinking of the consequences.

The more time I spent outside, the better it felt to be a vampire. I loved looking up and the moon night after night, listening to the owls hooting, the trees whispering and the small animals sleeping. In the future, after all of this was over, it would be times like this that I would live for, only I would be in a much better mood, hopefully with Charlie by my side, not because he feels like he has to protect me, but because he wants to be there for me.

"Cordelia." It was just a whisper, but I knew I wasn't imagining it. I definitely heard someone call out for me, and they couldn't have been vampire because I would have sensed someone else nearby.

"Cordelia." This time it was a little clearer. I recognised the voice but I couldn't think how. I knew it was a mans voice but that was about it. I followed it, trying to find the source. I couldn't help but notice how close I was getting to werewolf territory. I was tempted to go back and get Charlie first, but I wanted to prove that I could protect myself. I carried on bravely, ignoring the feeling in my gut, telling me to go back. I reached the fence between vampire and werewolf territory, only to see Rory standing there.

"What do you want?" I asked, standing tall.

"I needed to see you. To make sure you were okay" He explained.

"Well it's too late for that, if you haven't noticed already." I muttered, glaring.

"Listen Cordelia I..."

"We aren't friends. Rory, we haven't been friends since your kind attacked and killed me. Luckily for me, Charlie saved me. Unluckily for you, that means me and you, our friendship, it's over. Don't call me again. Don't try and speak to me. Hell, don't even answer me. I'm going to walk away from here and when I do you'll never call on me again. From here on out we are nothing but the war that reins between werewolves and vampires." I stated, before turning my back and leaving, before he had a chance to say another word. I felt like I wanted to cry. Rory had always been there for me. But I had to break away from him for good. He would always be my weakness and I would always be his. We couldn't exactly be friends after all that had happened. Even if the war wasn't an issue I couldn't be friends with him all the while I wasn't aging anymore and he was still growing old. I couldn't stand at his funeral. It would be too painful. At least this way I could at least pretend he would move on and be happy, despite everything the other vampires had planned.