Chapter Sixteen

Brittany and I stuck around to help out for a hour or two. People were sent out to reinforce the fence, Logan lend them as he had the strongest senses and would know when a wolf was heading his way. Charlie was still running around trying to bring order back to the palace. He did stop a couple of time to talk to me but it was only passing comments that I barely caught most of the time, but one I did understand loud and clear, was that his father wanted to try again, soon.

With everyone moving around at vampire speed, we pretty much managed to get everyone bandaged up within another half an hour. The worse hurt were staying the the palace infirmary, while the rest went home to sleep it off. Charlie was still running around trying to bring order back so I decided to call it a night and wait was Charlie in our room. Every bone in my body was aching and I was dying for a shower, but i had been warned by Brittany not to get my stitches wet, so instead of the long relaxing shower I was hoping for, I got an equally long awkward one instead.

I got changed into some pajamas and collapsed on the bed. The events of tonight were running through my head over and over again, like some kind of broken record. I just knew the wolves were going to end up taking their frustrations out on all of the humans back there. I mean they had come so close to catching the vampire prince, only to watch him escape from their grasp.

I had nothing to do so I decided to play around with my new senses. I knew they were powerful but I didn't know how to control them. Charlie had mentioned some things, back when I was human Charlie had said something that made me think that he could focus his senses to find one particular person. I guessed that considering Charlie had probably used it on me, it was okay to try focusing on him. I didn't really know how to go about this so I decided to hold one of Charlie's shirts close to help me concentrate. At first I could hear absolutely everything. I was even picking up Logan's voice murmuring orders, and I knew he was still out fixing the fence. All of the different voices were overwhelming and I couldn't focus it. I regretted even trying. I covered my ears, trying to block it all out, but I could still hear them.

"Charlie!" I yelled, praying that he would hear me. That or maybe someone else would come to my rescue and give me the cliffsnotes version of how to turn it off.

"Cordelia?" I was so glad to hear Charlie's voice.

"I can't turn it off!" I cried out.

"It's okay just look at me. Focus on me." He ordered, forcing my chin up so our eyes met. I kept eye contact, noticing everything about him. His hair, his eyes, how his lips stayed slightly open whenever he concentrated, everything. Slowly the other noises disappeared and all that was left was me and him.

"Sorry." I mumbled, keeping my head down in shame.

"For what?"

"Being an idiot."

"You're not an idiot. I know what you were trying to do and it's only natural to try and explore your new abilities... Although I wished you had waited until I was around." He sighed, lying down next to me and pulling me down to lie with him. "What exactly was it that you were trying to do anyway?"

"Well I was trying to see if I could hear you from here... Didn't go so well..." I trailed off. Charlie just smirked, shaking his head.

"What did your father have you do? You've been running around for ages."

"Fixing his mistakes. I had to check on all of his council members, then everyone else, count the dead, count the injured and count the able bodied, who could go back again in a weeks time." He sighed.

"How many died?"

"Just eight. We were lucky, but next time they'll call in reinforcements, from other towns, the werewolves pretty much rule the whole world."