Blood Lust (WARNING: UNEDITED)

I always hated it when nighttime came around. For humans like me it meant staying at home in the safety of the wolves protection. If people like me could actually call it that. Anyone as financially unlucky as me had to live right on the edge of the wolves protection, right on the line between the vampire allowed zone and the protected zone. I suppose I should count myself lucky, there were some unlucky enough to actually live in the vampire areas, most of them were criminals of some kind, but others were just poor with nowhere else to go and they only had permission to be in the protected zones at night if they were up to date with there taxes, which most of them weren't.

I sat on the windowsill of my bedroom window, on the second floor of my tiny flat. I grabbed my brush and ran it through my long chocolate brown hair. There wasn't really much to look at. The odd person or two, playing the dangerous game of running around outside at night, although as long as they had werewolf protection they were fine, vampires weren't stupid enough to attack a protected person, it would cause too much trouble. It was easy to tell they were human because of their skin. No matter how pale they were, they could never be as pale as a Vampire.

So far I had counted three people outside tonight, probably stumbling home drunk or something. I watched as a fourth walked along the path. Only there was something different about him he seemed so confident, while all the rest had been cautious, being this close to the border and all. It wasn't normal for a human out at night to be 100% confident. As he got closer I soon realised why. He was no human. The skin was too pale. The teeth too long and sharp. The eyes too dark. He was a vampire. He looked up at me and grinned, giving me a perfect view of his long sharp canines. My heart was pounding so fast. I could feel my palms getting sweaty. Even though I was inside and therefore safe I still felt too exposed. Too close to him. I couldn't take my eyes off him though. Just in case he attacked me. Not that that was even possible, but I couldn't ignore the feeling that he would find a way.

"Derek!" I heard someones muffled voice through the glass. The vampire turned and looked behind him. "What the hell are you playing at?" Another vampire yelled at him. He had dark shaggy blond hair and his eyes were almost black. That usually meant that he had just been feeding or he was hungry and on the hunt.

"I was bored. Come on what's a pack of wolves going to do this close to the border? You used to be a lot more fun Charlie." Derek laughed menacing.

"The pack are going to coming for us right now! Lets get back already!" Charlie snapped. I watched as Charlie eyes wander past Derek's shoulder and up the road. For a moment he looked scared. It was shocking to see that look of a predators face, but I soon realised why. I heard the howl of a wolf and recognised it instantly.. It was the battle cry of a werewolf. I watched as the pack came out of the shadows. All of them growling as they stalked closer.

"Run!" Charlie yelled at Derek, pushing him in the direction of the vampire territory. He paused for a while before darting off into the night. "Please. I mean you no harm. I was just trying to stop my friend from causing trouble." Charlie tried to reason. I knew that he was telling the truth. I knew the wolves knew it too. But I also knew they didn't care. The vampire was on their turf. Therefore the vampire was screwed.

I couldn't let this happen. But what could I do? I'm human, I have no powers or advantages... Apart from one. I ran out of my room and downstairs to the front door. I opened to see the wolves were already attacking. I could tell that if there wasn't so many of them the vampire would be winning right now. One of the wolves attacked him from behind, biting the back of his leg, causing him to howl out in pain. I had to help him. Even if he was a vampire.

"Charlie! I invite you into my house!" I yelled.