Chapter Eighteen

It was finally the night that we were heading back into werewolf territory, once and for all. Charlie had already dragged me out hunting, despite my wishes. He also made plans with me to make sure I got to see Lisa one last time. Although I wasn't going to hold my breath. I know she had contacted me, but I couldn't risk her life over it.

Brittany, Derek, Logan and Charlie were all going to be entering from the same direction as me, from behind the library. Everyone was being briefed which Charlie decided to skip, dragging me with him. We both walked as far as we could along vampire land, to get as close to the library as possible, which wasn't very far at all considering how fast we could run.

We waited patiently for Brittany, Derek and Logan. When they finally turned up we climbed the fence, into the unprotected part of werewolf territory. It didn't go on for long and soon enough we had to cross over into the protected part of town. We were careful as we traveled, with me leading the way. We stopped behind the library and listened out for the signal to move in. There were two other vampires with us, a man and woman whom I never met before. We stayed silent until the high pitched tone signaled us to move in.

Charlie walked in front of ever so slightly, as we came around from the back of the library. It was then that I noticed there were people inside, and it was Lisa's blue convertible, sitting in front of the alleyway.

"Charlie." I whispered, looking at him panicked. He knew what was wrong and held my hand. I knew I could trust him not to do anything, and if I asked, I'm sure Brittany, Logan and Derek would back off, but the other two were completely unpredictable to me. I could tell they had sensed the people inside, but one growl from Charlie and they backed off. I silently thanked him and we carried on.

We rounded the corner, just as Lisa came out of the library with Ms. Goodwin, my old boss, I froze as the two other vampires began to hunt. Just as they went to strike, I jumped in front, throwing them off. Charlie stood in front of me, stopping them from coming after me.

"You have your mission!" He snapped, just then wolves howled, from close by and I just knew they were heading this way. I could hear the battle cries of nearby vampires, which Brittany and Logan reacted to. They wanted to go, but the two vampires in front of my weren't back off anytime soon, it was like they were going rogue. "Go!" Charlie ordered, loudly. I turned to Lisa and Ms. Goodwin, looking them in the eyes. I knew if I sent them back inside, they could still get attacked as it was a public place, and they would be trapped. I had to get them out of here. The two vampires were watching everything I did, and saw me glance at the car, they were determined to to reach it, but Charlie and Derek blocked them.

Lisa saw the predicament I was in and ran out, in front of Derek, so suddenly it threw them off. As fast as lightning, I grabbed Ms. Goodwin and placed her into the car.

"Drive!" I ordered, buckling her in and shutting the door. She nodded, mouthing the words 'thank you' to me before speeding off into the night, heading towards her home. I was glad one of them was safe, but as I turned to Lisa, I saw one of the vampires lunge at her. Before I could react, Derek grabbed her and span around, shielding her. She shut her eyes tightly, as Charlie intervened and knocked both vampires backwards. I was frozen in place.

I heard the wolves emerge from thin air behind me. They immediately attacked, going for Derek first as he still had hold of Lisa. One dived for me, and I fought back hard, using all of my senses trying to outsmart him. He was significantly bigger than the others, which meant he was probably from the alpha blood line. Charlie came out of nowhere and tackled him down, but the commotion threw me off and left me wide open. Another wolf lunged at me but I wasn't ready, out of nowhere another wolf jumped in the way, saving my life.