Chapter Twenty Four

We waited as long as we could, but Derek and Lisa never showed. I tried not to think about it too much, but I couldn't help but wonder how they were going to get out after that night. Charlie promised that they were alive and well when he left. The chances were, they would slip out when all the other vampires started leaving and one day they would be able to catch us up. It would be years before we would see them again. But to a vampire, a few years meant nothing when you had all of eternity.

Charlie, Logan and I spent our first few years on the run, traveling as far and as fast as possible. About ten years in Logan decided to stop running. He parted ways with us, with his eye on a newly turned vampire. He has spent so long learning from Charlie and the rest, he looked forward to finally getting the chance to be a teacher.

As for Charlie and I, we still held on to hope that we could live somewhere private. Somewhere that no one would be able to find us. The further we traveled, the more we realised how rare our little town had been. There were many places where vampires and werewolves were nothing by fairy tales. We decided we would keep it that way and find somewhere else. We had a few run ins with wolves along the way, but nothing we couldn't handle. In the majority of places, werewolves still ruled, even over the vampires, whether humans were aware of it or not.

It took us fifty years to finally find our place in the world. But when we did, we were happy. I knew it would be a shot in the dark whether Derek and Lisa could find us. But forever was a long time.