Chapter Twenty

By sundown Charlie was back at my side like normal. Where he had been before I slept I didn't know, let alone how he managed to stay awake. I went to get up but he held me in place, without saying a world. The events of last night were creeping up on him one by one. He was going to be looked to as the leader now whether he liked it or not, and I knew he was feeling the latter. It was something he had been avoiding as much as possible before now. I knew he was hoping to get the hell out of here without anything bad happening to his dad... Until we were well out of the way that is.

"What's the plan today?" I asked quietly. He didn't respond at first and I wasn't really expecting him to either. He just stayed quiet and closed his eyes.

"No plan. I gave the orders out last night, or morning." He groaned at the last part. "All we can do now is wait. Your plan with the humans is slowly getting into action, our messengers are out as we speak." He mumbled. "I wonder how Lisa is going to take to being a vampire." He asked, changing the subject.

"She seemed okay last night... But that was last night. Who knows how she'll be today."

"We need to take her hunting."

"I know."

"And the last thing she needs is to see you be nervous about hunting. You gotta start taking to it Cordy. It's no different to the meat you'd eat as a human."

"I know."

After another hour we finally decided to leave our room and go face the music. Straight away everyone was pulling Charlie in all different directions. Eventually I had to just leave him to it. Right now the whole kingdom needed him more than I did. I went and found Derek instead and asked him to help with Lisa. Considering all the commotion inside, he was more than happy to oblige. To him, I'd imagine a hunt sounded like the best idea possible.

Logan had been sent out as a messenger as he was fast and good at sensing wolves. Brittany on the other hand had been beaten too badly to do anything tonight, so she stayed in her room to sleep it off. Vampires healed better when they slept.

Lisa had stayed in her room after she woke and was relieved when we came to get her, that was until she realised what she was going to be doing. I wanted to say it was easy, but I knew I sure as hell didn't find it easy, so I had no idea how she was going to react.

Derek talked Lisa through it, just like I had been told before. But unlike when I was learning, Derek turned to me.

"Cordelia you go first." He ordered. I froze in place, just staring blankly. He just gave me a small nod, but there was something in his eyes that made me click to what he was doing. Lisa needed me to go first because she needed to see another newbie hunt.

I looked out into the forest, listening out for any nearby animals. I could hear rabbits scuffling in the bushes and an owl or two in the trees. But I was looking for something bigger. I could hear something rising, it was far away from me, but not too far.

"What are you hearing?" Derek asked.

"I think... A bear. Can I take a bear?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"If you think you can go for it then do it." He shrugged. I nodded, focusing in on my prey. I focused on the direction of it then took off. I reached it just as it came out of his cave. He let out a growl, getting ready to attack. I tried to move fast, getting it round the neck, but I hesitated just as it came to the kill. It knocked me too the ground, getting ready to deliver a final blow.

Lisa came out of nowhere and knocked it back. I jumped up, going for the kill, snapping it's neck in one quick motion. Both Lisa and I fed from it till it was drained, before letting it fall. Lisa was startled after, but she held it together. I tried not to react in any way.