Chapter 34

2 years later

Jasmine

I dropped Kamden off at daycare and drove down the highway to my job. We've been in California for about two years now and it has actually been amazing. It was like a fresh start. Chris has been doing great with his new team and I currently work at Vibe magazine. I'm a photographer. Things are going well for us and I'm happy about it. We live in a nice house with more than enough security.

I grabbed my camera and hopped out of the car. I locked the doors and walked into the building. Walking into my office, I turned on the lights and sat at my desk.

I logged in on my computer and looked at my schedule for the next few days.

I have a photoshoot with August today. He quit his job at the prison and became a singer. He's pretty well known now. I haven't seen him in a long time so I'm looking forward to today.

"Hi, Ms. Brooks. Your 3 o'clock appointment his here." The receptionist paged me.

"Send him in."

My face lit up as August walked in. I walked over and hugged him.

"It's so good to see you."

"You too Jas. How you been?"

"I've been good and yourself?"

"Shit. I been making it." He laughed

"You ready to get started?"

"Yea." He nodded. "Let's do it."

"Follow me."

I walked into the studio and instructed him where to stand. I turned on my lights and put my camera on the proper setting.

"Just relax. Don't tense up. Let it flow naturally."

After about 200 shots, I had the pictures that I needed for the magazine.

"Is your interview today too?" I asked as I cleaned up the set.

"Yea, with Veronica."

I nodded. "She's cool."

"How's your son?"

"He's good." I smiled. "He's 3 now. And growing everyday."

"I'll have to stop by the house sometime and chill with ya'll."

"Yea. That'll be cool."

"See you later." He hugged me

I changed the set and got ready for my next client. I wasn't too busy today so I was happy about that.

Once I was finished with my second client. I packed up my things and walked to the car.

My phone began to vibrate as I drove down the road. I checked my messages as I was sitting at the stoplight.

Chris (4:55 PM): Can you pick me up from the shop? I just dropped my car off.

The light had turned green so I called Chris.

"Which shop are you at?" I spoke through the phone.

"Car Ink. Across from iHop down the street from our house."

"On my way." I tossed my phone into the passenger seat.

I pulled into the parking lot and blew the horn. Chris looked up and frowned.

"You so extra." Chris commented as he buckled his seatbelt.

"Whatever." I turned the radio up.

"Stop by In-n-Out. I'm hungry." Chris sighed

"You're always hungry."

"So. My mama said, I'm a growing boy." A huge smile came across his face

I laughed and shook my head "You are crazy."

I pulled into the drive thru and ordered food for every one.

"What time do you get Kam from daycare?" He asked as he stuffed his mouth with fries.

I glanced at the clock. "Now."

The traffic was heavy, as usual. I turned the a/c on and rolled the windows up as we sat there.

"I hate this." I looked over at Chris.

"This is the price you pay for living in California." He laughed and continued to eat.

"Pass me my fries." I held my hand out

My phone began to vibrate again. Since we were sitting, I unlocked it and went to my messages.

I had a text but there was no number.

"That's weird." I mumbled to myself.

I opened the text and read the message.

Unknown (5:32 PM): If you ever want to see your son again, you need to pay me 25 million dollars.