Chapter 6

Jasmine

"Inmate 7215038. You have a meeting with your lawyer today. Come on let's get you cuffed so you can go" A guard spoke through the cell bars

I stood up and slowly walked to the door. I was not in the mood for none of this shit today.

Two guards escorted me through the prison and into a room where my lawyer was waiting. I flopped down into the chair and stayed silent.

"Good afternoon Ms. Brooks. It's nice to see you again. I arranged this meeting because I recently spoke with James and he mentioned to me that you were doing alot better since you came out of confinement. He also mentioned at he thinks you should be transferred to minimum security." He cleared his throat before continuing "Now this wasn't easy but I convinced the Judge to allow you to be transferred. He also shortened your sentence."

"Really?" I was shocked

"Yes. You will remain in maximum for another month and then you will be transferred. Once you get to minimum, if you stay out of trouble, you could be out of prison within nine months. I'm really fighting for you Jasmine."

"Wow, that's amazing." I smiled

"There goes that beautiful smile. Cheer up. This rough patch is almost over."

"Thank you Stephen. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, I'm just doing my job. You just stay out of trouble. I know you can do it. Don't let these people test you. It may be hard and take everything in you to not knock somebody out but trust me, it will be worth it when you're a free woman again."

I nodded before I stood up "Thanks, again." I hugged him

~~~

2:12 AM

"You up?" I heard Chris' voice

"Yea" I said barely above a whisper

"What's wrong? You've been quiet all day?"

"Just wanted to be to myself, that's all"

"You sure?" He raised an eyebrow

"Yep, I do have good news tho. I'm getting transferred to minimum security next month"

"Wow, that's uhh....that's great" His smile dropped

"What's wrong?" I grabbed his chin turning his face to look at me

"It's nothing. I'ma let you get some rest though." He kissed my cheek before leaving

~~~

Ever since I told Chris about me getting transferred, it's like he's been avoiding me. He won't even look in my direction.

"Aug!" I yelled waving him over

"Wassup Jas?" He smiled

"What's wrong with him?" I pointed to Chris

He turned around and sighed before facing me again "He jus a lil mad. He'll be iight tho"

"Mad for what?!" I became slightly irritated

He shrugged "Ion kno, I jus kno he mad. I asked him earlier an he said nothin"

Chris

I walked down the hall knocking on David's door

"It's open!" He yelled

I twisted the knob walking in to his office

"Hey Chris. What can I do for you?"

I scratched the back of my head trying to figure out what I wanted to say.

"Well, I actually wanted to know if I could be transferred back to minimum security."

"Leaving so soon? You only been here five months." He joked "You're in luck though. A guard from minimum security is being placed at a jail over in a different state within the next month. But my question to you is, Why should I send you for that postion?"

"I don't like the hours here" I lied "My previous schedule was more effective for me."

"I see. Well you'll be first on my list of consideration"

"Thank you, Sir" I got up and left his office.