Chapter 45

The day of the Parent Showcase arrived faster than anticipated. Everyone had been working nonstop to perfect that one more move to blow away their families. Students were given the day off from classes, where we were frantically preparing for finals, so their teachers (the ones who weren't out fighting against the Puppeteer) could help set up the stage from the first day of school as well as countless folding chairs in the gym. Everyone was buzzing the afternoon before: the showcase would take place in the evening, and our parents would arrive just before then. The music and art rooms were vacant: the gym was always crowded. I had forsaken my second hour of free time in favor of more practice with Ms. Wren. We were pulling out all the stops for this final event.

When the time finally came, everyone crowded in the courtyard around the fountain. I stood back on the steps, wondering why everyone was circling around the fountain of all things, when it suddenly split apart, the water draining into a great circular chasm below. Then, out of the hole emerged a rectangular yellow shape- no, a school bus. The very same one that had first brought us to the Haven what felt like years ago.

The bus drove out of the pit in the center of the fountain like it was just another road, then out into the courtyard as the waiting students parted like the Red Sea. As the bus passed, some waved excitedly, while others simply stood by and watched the bus pass with cold indifference.

A deep melancholy filled the pit of my stomach. I knew that in another life, I would've been one of those waving at those inside of the bus. In another life, I wouldn't have had to worry about super villains, long kept secrets, or missing and dead family members. But I also knew that I didn't understand the excitement- any comprehension I had of family bonds disappeared with my memories. The closest thing I had was Cammie- and even then, I felt like she was always looking for the sister she used to have, not the person I was now. So I stood there, unmoving, on the steps to the school, and watched as the bus full of parents rolled to a stop. I stood there knowing that no matter how much I wished or hoped, my family would not walk off that bus.

And then, slowly, I turned and walked away.

🌜🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌛

I was sitting in the dorm room when I heard the door open. I had been wanting to tell Anita about revealing my true powers at the showcase, but I had been unable to catch she and Ben alone since Ms. Wren told me: everyone was too busy practicing and studying for finals. Hence, when the door opened, I wheeled around quickly to tell Anita the good news.

"Anita! I'm can finally let my secret come out! Can you believe-" I cut off abruptly when I saw the three figures framed in the doorway.

"This is our dorm room," Anita said nervously, shifting from one foot to the other inside the door frame, "and this is my roommate, Ella. Ella, these are my parents." She gave me a meaningful look. Over her two shoulders stood her two parents. Both were dressed professionally and were of obvious Indian heritage. Neither was smiling.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't realize anyone else was here. Its wonderful to meet you." I backpedaled. My outburst had probably not been the best first impression on my best friend's parents.

"So you're the kind of person our daughter has been spending her time around." Her father said, peering through thin glasses at me. What was that supposed to mean? Turning to Anita, he continued, "Has she been hindering your studies at all? If that's the case then your mother and I can see to it that you have a new roommate by the end of the week." Her mother nodded once, cool and emotionless.

"Oh no! Ella's great, I promise. We both work really hard. No change is necessary." Anita assured them.

Her father looked at me again and pursed his lips. "We shall see."