Chapter 33

Hey guys! Hope you enjoy this next update. This chapter is dedicated to HannaOnACloud . Thanks for being there for me chica. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

"Is she up yet?" I heard Ben ask. The voice was somewhat... Different. Clearer, closer. The darkness too, seemed lighter and less thick. Straining, I pushed against it with all my strength, just trying to move my hand, a finger even!

"No, not yet. I'm hoping she'll be awake in time for the new year. It's hard to-" Anita replied, then cut off suddenly. What happened? Why did she stop talking?

"What? What's wrong?" Ben voiced my concerns.

"Look at Ella's right ring finger. " she instructed slowly. A moment later, I heard a sharp intake of breath.

"Did it just-"

"Yeah! I think she's waking up! Ella, if you can hear us, try to move something!" Anita pleaded.

Doing as I was told, I focused again and moved my left eyebrow, then my right. Then, slowly, I pried open my heavy eyelids, looking up at the ceiling with dry eyes.

"You're awake!" Laughed Anita. Instantly I was enveloped in a crushing hug. I brought my sluggish arms up to hug my best friend back. The darkness had let me go at last and I was finally awake.

"Yeah, I guess I am" I replied with a raspy voice. Ben handed me a glass of water with a smile. I sat up, looking around. I was laying in a cot in a sterile white room, empty except for the three of us. It wasn't overly spacious, nor was it cramped. It had a grey metal desk in one corner, two other beds like the one I lay in, and small tables next to each one. The table nearest me contained a vase with a small violet in it. Looking down at myself, I saw that I was still in the clothes I had been wearing on Christmas. Someone had removed my boots and my necklace, and they sat next to my bed. My hair probably closely resembled a hay stack. All in all, I was a mess. But I was a conscious mess at least!

"How long was I out?" I inquired, turning my attention to my two friends.

"Five, not counting today. It's around," Ben checked the clock on the wall, "around seven on New Year's Eve."

"Then why are you here? Don't you guys have better things to do on New Year's Eve than chill in a hospital wing?" I joked. Neither of them laughed.

"Ella, we haven't left for more than an hour the entire time you were out. We thought you had died when you collapsed by Ms. Wren." Anita told me. I pursed my lips. That wasn't fair to them. They should've been enjoying their break, not watching to see if my finger twitches.

"I'm sorry guys. I just... I needed to help. No one else could've stopped that thing- had I not done what I did, we would all be dead. I actually thought I was going to die for a bit. I just forced myself to keep going until it was safe. Better one life gone than the entire school. " I finished quietly. I swung my legs off the bed, walking on wobbly legs to hug my friends.

"It's okay. And while you should totally never do that again, I get why you had to do it. " Anita smiled softly at me. I smiled back at her, then sat back down on my bed and grabbed my boots. I pulled them on and laced them up, then grabbed my necklace and put it on.

"What are you doing Ella?" Ben inquired.

"I'm grocery shopping. What do you think I'm doing?" I replied rolling my eyes.

"You're not leaving, Ella." He said flatly. Tough crowd. Not fans of jokes, are they?

"Why not? I'm awake, aren't I? I feel just fine. Perfectly rested. I want to go outside and actually enjoy my New Year's Eve. You're welcome to join me, if you like." I reasoned. I truly did feel much better. My head was clear for the first time in days, and I felt rested and refreshed. Odd how sleep makes you feel more awake.