Chapter Ninety-Eight: Part One

Start from the beginning

"Wait," I called out to Eden, whose fingers were hovering over the door handle. The girl swivelled around expectantly, probably wondering why I was wasting her time.

"Where did you find it?" I asked, nodding down at my pendant which still sat on my lap.

Eden smirked once more and I considered the fact that she held the answer to every question I had been asking since I got here.

"Right where I planted it."

Immense silence followed. I stared at her. What she said had shivers running down my spine. The cold air tore across my skin as I mulled over her answer.

"What do you mean?" I echoed my question from earlier, but instead knowing exactly what she meant. She had to be lying. There has to be another answer.

Eden grinned as she unlocked the door, not replying. My heart sped up; suddenly, I wanted her to stay so that she could tell me more of her wicked knowledge.

"You put it there." I spoke, trying to bait her, grateful when Eden stopped moving. "You knew I'd pick it up, you–" Eden pushed down the handle and the tired metal groaned.

"Who were you trying to hurt?" I asked her. She opened the door. "Eden." My voice was supposed to be firm and unwavering, but it was unsteady and it definitely wavered.

"Who were you trying to hurt?" I repeated impatiently, the desperation seeping through. Eden walked out of the room and I thrashed around in my chair.

"Eden!" I called out as the door began to shut behind her. "Eden!" I screamed, infuriated and overcome with the strong sensation of the unknown.

Then, the door shut, and echoes of desolation rang out, clear as day but as deadly as night. And as I slumped back in my seat, my pendant shifting around on my lap, I realised I knew absolutely nothing. I knew nothing about everything.

It seems that I've misplaced a few of my hours—something I realised when I awoke in an unfamiliar room. In the shadows, I recognised Jameson opposite, still asleep—or drugged. I wouldn't be surprised if they had gagged us again.

My hands were tied up in front of me this time, whereas they had been bound to the frame of the chair previously, but my legs were still out of use, tied tight to the legs of the chair. I bent over, using my tied hands to try to unknot my legs. The ropes were thick and tight, but finally it looked like I was making decent progress.

Moments passed, noises echoed down the corridor, and I realised that I only had a limited amount of time to free myself. If only Jameson would wake up; we could put together a decent escape plan, all that we have right now is the hope that these ropes aren't tied as tightly as they seem to be.

Then I had it. My left leg was free. I started on my right leg, after glancing woefully over at Jameson; we can't waste time—he needs to wake up.

The other rope didn't take as long, maybe my fingers had mastered the skilful art of untying. I clawed at the last piece of rope, desperately pleading it to just come loose. The rope loosened around my ankle and I grinned, applying force by my leg, watching as the rope unraveled itself.

With my legs free, all I really had to do was stand up. I stood up, but suddenly that plan didn't seem good enough; what next? Looking down at my restricted hands, I decided I'd find a way to untie them. With Jameson out of command, I looked for something sharp to slash them with.

Many worried glances later, I spotted a broken banister, with jagged, sharp wooden edges. It wasn't a knife, but it would have to do. I got to work on practically sawing off my rope whilst Jameson stirred in his sleep across the room. Anxious to wake him up and get moving, I acquired quite a few rope burns before finally freeing myself.