Chapter Fifty-Seven

"And for a moment I actually believed we were all okay. Only for a moment. That moment bled out with reality's victims."
—..A Human Named Chloe, 'The Hollows of Hiraeth'
_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

I grimaced as my phone started to create a loud buzzing sound against the wood of my bedside table. No matter how much sleep I had the day before, I still need more sleep. I ripped the charger out of my phone and threw my phone across the room.

I heard a huge clatter and I cursed profoundly, wondering why on earth I had flung my phone to it's death in the first place. The things I do for sleep. I groaned but slipped out of my bed—literally. I landed on my face and I let out a hiss in pain before blinking and trying to look for my phone.

I found my phone on the floor next to the leg of my vanity table, alongside most of my perfume bottles. I sighed at the persistent buzzing before crawling—or pulling myself—along the floor. I reached my phone and checked for any damage before registering who was calling me. Carter. God, this boy.

I sluggishly picked up the call and somehow managed to put him on speakerphone in the process. I laid down on the ground and groaned when a deep bellow came from my phone speakers.

"Let me in, Sky, or you'll be late again." Carters voice rung clear and I realised, after there was a tapping at my door, that he was nearer than I thought.

"How did you get my number?" The words were slurred as I laid on my face, the phone next to my nose.

"I asked around," Carter laughed before I heard a thud at the door, "Now let me in." He knocked and knocked at the door and I groaned.

"Shut up," I complained, my voice dragged whilst I tried to minimise the sound I was hearing by covering my ears. The tapping at the door became more rapid and much more louder.

Suddenly, realising that the amount of noise being made would probably annoy Jameson after a while, I crawled over to the door and reached up, sleepily realising that the door was eerily already unlocked. Not being able to comprehend how it was unlocked and also why Carter couldn't unlock it from the outside, I shrugged it off and pulled down the handle with my fingertips.

I fell onto the floor and curled up into a ball when the door was open, and I heard Carter chuckle as he shut the door behind him. I jerked slightly as I felt my body being peeled off the floor, and, like a baby, I was carried into my bathroom. Carter sat me on the sink top, being careful not to drop me in the sink.

Groggily, I waved my hand around to search for the mouthwash. When I had found it, I became well aware that Carter had opened my legs and was standing between them, leaning in dangerously close. I quickly washed the mouthwash around my mouth, spat it out in the sink and then picked up a random towel on the side to clear up any excess.

When I was done, Carter practically grabbed my chin with his thumb and index finger, turning my head around and surprising me with a kiss. At first I was shocked and confused, but then, smiling into the kiss, I began to fall deeply into the moment. As the kiss began to deepen, I began to feel Carter's fingers gently grazing the skin underneath my t-shirt, and as his fingers got higher up, I realised.
I'm not wearing a bra.

I pulled away and pushed his arm away from me, then instantly regretted my actions when Carter slipped on the mat on the floor. I instantly flung my arms out, as if I'd actually catch him if I reached out far enough. Luckily, Carter managed to grasp onto the shower door, and fell onto the edge of the bathtub.