Chapter Forty-One

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

"Nothing." I sighed as I closed yet another book. The dust particles came gusting out and I choked as I inhaled them. I looked over at Toby who seemed as if he had poured himself into a book and wasn't paying much attention to me.

I put my books away and turned my phone back on. I immediately got several messages but I ignored them and checked the time on my phone, I confirmed it to be nearing five pm. Wow, we've been here for four hours? Taking me eating lunch into consideration. I ran a hand over my face and yawned; this has been an awfully long session of finding non-existent answers.

I finally checked the messages, a few were from the group chat with the girls but the majority were from Jameson. I rolled my eyes as I saw his texts asking me where I was. I decided to text him, so that he wouldn't worry that I was dead or something.

'Stop going on a witch hunt. I'll be back soon.'

I sent the text and almost instantly received another back—I rolled my eyes at Jameson's constant worry. Loosen up, seriously.

'You're a witch?'

His message read and I burst out laughing. I saw Toby jump in his seat in the corner of my eye and I glanced up to see him looking startled.

"Sorry," I quickly apologised and Toby nodded, then frowned at my current standing position.

"Are you leaving?" He asked me as he raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Jameson is going to kill me otherwise." I laughed, though I knew that Jameson would most probably actually kill me.

"He'd have to find you first." Toby winked at me and I shook my head at him. This boy. God.

I slung my bag on my shoulder and frowned when Toby went back to his book, "You aren't coming?" I asked him as I leant against the table.

Toby lifted his head to look at me, then shook his head, "I'm going to keep looking. Unless you don't remember the way out?"

"Oh no, I'll be fine." I smiled at him, brushing away his help. Silence overwhelmed us and I felt as if that was my cue to leave.

I pushed myself off the table, "Well I guess I'll see you around." I bid him farewell awkwardly and started to walk away.

"Sky," Toby called out and I turned around to see that he had risen from his seat and was leaning against the table with a smirk on his face.

"We can do this again." Toby offered but it sounded more like a statement. I gave him a small smile before nodding my head. I turned back to walk away and surprisingly wasn't interrupted this time.

I made it back to what I'll call the main part of the academy—or just the parts that I'm actually allowed to be in—rather quickly and, shockingly, didn't get lost. That's an achievement.

I was walking down the long as hell corridor to get back to my room, my legs speeding up at the thought of relaxation. Then all of a sudden–

The wind was knocked out of me as I was shoved to the sound. I winced in pain and nearly screamed as the arm that had been bashed by the door came into contact with the wall. And hard. I fell to the ground in pain as someone leaned over me. I looked up, but couldn't recognise the person; they had a balaclava on.