▲18△

"And I believe on a happy day like today, we can still feel a little sad. And that's life, isn't it?" -Gabrielle Zevin
------------------------------------------------------
Jorden's POV
I sighed as I trudged into the field house. I avoided this place for over a week during my suspension and now it was time to face the music.

"The fairy is back!" I heard someone yell before the door could even close behind me. I decide to just ignore everyone.

"Michaels!" I hear Coach Sam yell and I turn to face him. He waves me into his office and shuts the door behind me.

"Son I just wanted to welcome you back and encourage you to keep fighting. You have a real talent and a real passion and you don't let anyone, not even your dad, rip that away from you, yeah?" He says and I nod

"Yeah, thanks coach." I say and he smiles

"Anytime boy, now go suit up and get ready to kick some ass." He says, shooing me off. As I walk out of his office, I bump right into none other than my freaking father.

I mumble a quick apology before slipping past him.

"Son." He says as I'm walking away. I stop, but I don't turn around.

"I'm proud of you for standing what you believe in even if it's not what I believe. That's the son that I raised." He says. I don't respond, I just keep on walking towards the locker room.
________________________________
The crowd roars as David rockets another perfect pass to me and I fall with the catch into the end zone.

We run out the last few seconds on the clock and scream as the buzzer finally sounds.

We did it. We're going to playoffs.

I shake hands with the other team, but avoid the team celebration huddle. I don't need the hype. I don't need encouragement or support.

I just wanna play.

I can't stop the smile that breaks across my face as I see Brendan approach me as I'm walking back to the locker room.

"Hey baby." I say as he falls into my arms.

"I'm so proud of you." He sighs as he cuddles into my shoulder. He's been sick and very needy lately.

"Thank you gorgeous. Did you come alone?" I ask and he nods

"Shanna said it would make her miss managing too much." He explains and I frown.

"Nobody messed with you right?" I ask and he shakes his head

"Well, I have to go, I wanna make it in and out of the locker room before all the other guys. I'll see you at home, baby boy." I say before kissing his forehead and he nods.

I run in the locker room and quickly change out of my uniform. Just as I'm putting all of my things in my duffel bag, I hear the door creak open. I turn and see that it's just Cameron.

I pick up my bag and start making my way for the bus, when he stops me.

What's with everyone?
A week ago they all wanted nothing to do with me and now that I'm leaving them all alone they suddenly want my attention.

"What?" I ask

"You know, I uh, I just wanted to say that Brendan's a lucky guy to have you." He stutters and I glare at him.

"What the fuck are you talking about Cameron?" I ask him and he sighs

"I have a crush on you Jorden." He mumbles and I roll my eyes

"Be careful. You don't wanna be a distraction to me." I mock what he told my boyfriend

"Look Cam, I don't know what shit you're pulling, but just drop it. I just wanna do what I love to do. I don't desire to be friends with any of y'all. Just leave me alone." I scoff and leave the locker room just as the other boys are arriving.

I find Brendan where I left him. I wrap my arms around his waist and pull him to me roughly before giving him a deep kiss.

"I love you so much, you know that yeah?" I ask and he nods his eyes filled with confusion.

"I love you too." He says quizzically as I walk to the bus.