19. mark - neighbor

I'm so sorry I've been MIA for the last couple weekz, I'm a super busy person lmao

Luckily, driver's ed is over and the show I'm in just started, so now I have more free time which means more imagines and other stories (I've got a bts summer camp out right now, a a taehyung and a yugyeom soon pls support)

Anyways this imagine is requested by @KpopObsessedTrash!!! Thank you for the request, and I hope you enjoy :)

---

Moving into a new apartment on your own was both wonderfully and undeniably terrifying.

Moving out alone meant more responsibility to take care of yourself, plus pay bills, buy groceries, remember to lock doors, clean... But then again, moving out alone brought a whole world of possibilities. I could walk around without pants on, or eat pizza at 9 in the morning without the nagging judgement from my mom. And I could sing.

The best part for me was that I could sing, alone in my house, without having to worry about anyone bothering me.

I despise singing in front of people. The nerves in my stomach make me feel like I could choke on my words. The only people who have heard me sing alone are my parents, who would always tell me to quiet down.

I assumed I was bad, but that couldn't be it. The thing was, I know I'm not bad. I think I sound lovely. I wish I could get over my fear and learn to sing for people, but everything I have tried hasn't worked. So I keep music to myself.

My parents were home now, leaving me alone in my apartment. I was putting away my dishes, listening to some music. Naturally, I sang along.

(Pretend you're singing your favorite song, I can't decide that for you lololol)

As I was organizing my silverware, there was a knock on the door.

I shut the music off and felt my heart beat faster. Surely, it could be one of my parents or friends.

I opened the door slowly to see a mid-year old woman. She gave me a half smile.

"I hope you remember there are other's in this building. Please be respectful during quiet times." she crossed her arms.

"I-I didn't know there was a-"

"The rules should have been introduced when you signed for the apartment. It is only 8:40. That's not early enough to start a ruckus."

"I'm sorry-"

"I could call the property manager on you. They would love to give you a chat." the lady smirked. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

My first day here and I'm already causing a "ruckus".

"Leave her alone, Em. She's new." I heard a boy's voice from down the hall. The lady turned, rolling her eyes.

"You're lucky I haven't reported you either, Mr. Tuan."

"At least our new neighbor here can have fun, its something I never get to do thanks to you, Em." I turned my head to look at the boy who was talking. He was walking over to my door.

The lady, Em, scoffed and walked down the hall to her own apartment. The boy was now next to me, chuckling lightly.

"Don't mind Mrs. Em, she just doesn't like having a good time. Not really used to us younger years." He smiled, sticking his hand out. "I'm Mark Tuan."

I smiled in return, nervously shaking his hand. "I'm y/n."

He smiled. "Its nice to meet you. If you need anything, I'm right next door."

He waved and walked away, leaving me flustered. He was so attractive, and he seemed really nice.

The days went by, and I got more comfortable and situated in my new home. I would see Mark every now and then when I would come home or leave, or go to get my mail. We never talked too much, well, I never talked too much.

One day, however, I was walking down to the mailroom when Mark jogged to catch up with me.

"Fancy seeing you here, y/n." Mark smiled, looking cute as always.

"You know me, I just love getting my mail!" I said, making Mark chuckle.

We walked to the mailroom and went to our mailboxes. I opened mine to find some ads and bills.

"Hey, y/n?" mark asked behind me as I went through the envelopes.

"Ye?" I said quietly in response.

"What are you doing tonight?" He asked after a couple seconds. I stopped flipping through my mail.

"P-Probably the dishes." I said, staring forward.

He chuckled. "Would you perhaps like some help with that?"

I felt my face heat up instantly. "W-Why?"

"Because you always sing when you're cleaning your house."

I felt like I was going to faint. "Doesn't everyone?!" I turned to him, bringing my mail up to my face to hide the blush.

"Ne, but you have a beautiful voice. I'm glad I can hear it from my apartment." He laughed, then got silent. "This sounds so creepy."

"Only a little," I whispered.

He frowned. "Did I make you uncomfortable? I can just shut up... Or leave... Or both... I'm sorry..." he scratched his neck, clearly flustered as he turned to lock his mailslot.

"N-No, Mark, its not that..." I said quickly, not wanting him to leave thinking he did something wrong.

"Huh?" He hummed.

"I just," I brought my hands down. "I don't sing for people, that's all. I get so nervous and... I'm not even good. I just enjoy it, it makes me happy."

He smiled softly. "That's all that matters. I love to rap and dance, but I'm probably not going anywhere with that! It makes me happy..." he put his hand on my shoulder. "But your voice is seriously amazing. I just had to tell you."

My cheeks were heating up again as I tried to muster a thank you. His smile grew.

"Now, do you still want me to come help with the dishes?"