Ch. 16 - Consideration

Delirious

I'm a fool. Why am I helping him? I can't control myself. His smile draws me in and his dark brown eyes whisper potential - even something more than that. Now I can't get away from him. Ohm knew exactly what he was doing; paring us up. Although, I think his flaw was our power, or possible power we could obtain to finally get out of this hellhole.

I suddenly hear humming below me - at the bottom bunk. Vanoss was humming. I stop sharpening my dagger and peak down. He was very off key, but I could tell the tune was sad. He discontinued. Silence thickened the air. I was suddenly wishing for him to start humming again because it was unbearable. His humming was almost something that could keep my sanity of staying here a while longer. I then notice something.

Scratching? No. It was Vanoss, he was sniffing. I set aside my dagger and slowly climb - rather jump - down to see tears trickling down his cheeks.
I felt remorse for him. I wanted to help. I've felt trapped like that the first time I was brought here. I duck a bit from the low metal, rusty top part of the bunk, and sit on the hard, uncomfortable mattress next to him. I don't speak for a few seconds, not entirely sure what to say. I go to open my mouth and say, I'm sorry.. I'm here.. I can help you, but nothing verbally comes out. How could I help him? Like I am now? No, no. Right now at this moment, how could I help?

Without thinking it over I lean and wrap my arms around him. He flinched a moment and stops sniffing. I start to let go; retreating, but he forcefully tugs back and hides in my shoulder. He whispers a very quiet "thank you".

"I'm sorry," is all I could say. We sit there for awhile. The lights in the hallways died one by one along with the rooms. Curfew. Our room was soon pitch black. We laid down in the dark on the bottom bunk, not leaving embrace. I felt my heart quicken. My cheeks were burning up. I've never held someone so close to me. I felt like I wasn't only comforting him, but I was comforting myself too.

-

The past week - morning after morning, day after day - was all the same. Rolecall, training, occasional call downs from Ohm - only to get too close to me - and long talks with Vanoss. He was very secretively chatty with his friends during breaks. They were coming up with a plan, I could tell by their cautious movements.

After having plenty of talks with Vanoss, whether deep or just short, I've learned a bit about him. I didn't really tell him much about me. I didn't think I was very interesting, although he kept a wanting to open me like I was some sort of thick 300 (or more) page book. I've been through a lot, but it wasn't something I would tell people.

It was the end of the day, as tiring and consistent as the last. Vanoss and I entered our room, sluggishly. This room was always such a headache. A bore. The walls bare metal and rustic, the floors and metal bunk bed as cold as the rest of the room. A broken wooden desk to the left of the room, all chipped and starting to mold - I still put my things on it. And to the right was our bunk.

I closed the heavy door and sat down next to Vanoss, who looked in deep thought. I bite my knuckle under my mask and stare at the hideous wall.

"Nervous?"

I stop biting my knuckle and turn to see Vanoss looking at me. I stay silent, confused by what he said.

"You bite your knuckle when you're nervous.. I'm just observant." He says and shrugs.

I hold tight on my hand and cover my knuckle, a bit embarrassed, but flattered by his consideration.

"Delirious.." he speaks again, uncertain.

"Yes?"

"My friends and I were talking about it and planning a bit--" -I knew it- "--... we want to escape. I told them about you, how I trust you.. will you help us?" He finishes and waits for my response, a bit taken back by my long silence.