Ch. 9 - Delusional

Vanoss

I held my breath and began to concentrate my sight on the target ahead. I steadied my breathing and gripped my sword tightly. And with one final deep breath, I ran and lifted my sword in a swift motion.

"HYAAAAAAAA!" I roared.

I sliced halfway through the dummy. The dummy's material was a replica of what an orc's skin is like or an ogre. It was a good use of practice. It being only halfway, I needed to try harder. Work harder, indeed. I needed to be stronger.
I groan and sigh in frustration. It wasn't good enough, it just wasn't acceptable in my self-evaluation.

"Vanoss, don't be frustrated over this. You slide that thing halfway through!" Moo reassured me, patting my shoulder.

"It just shows me I'm not strong enough," I answer, biting my lip after.

"You are plenty strong, incredibly really," Moo said, "maybe it isn't you, maybe you need a new sword, you have to take that into consideration with the type of material the sword is made out of and its strength."

I shrugged and flipped my sword, catching the handle again and slicing the dummy's head off. I snicker and bit and put my sword back in my bag.

"Mini, your turn," I say as I replace the dummy with a new, not damaged or hardly touched, one.

Mini shuffled over, dragging his feet, tired from his hangover. I told them not to party as hard as they did, they knew we were doing this today. It's their fault really. It still blew my mind that your mental state can easily be fucked up in the virtual world when you drink as it is in the real world.

"C'mon, Mini, you have to," Lui encouraged him, "your magic will be a whole lot of help! Especially healing and effective poisonous spells,"

Mini whined and groaned some more before assuming position to cast a spell. His hands in front of him and his eyes slightly closed. We watched him as he began to chant and sing some words.

"Slice, slice - slice and dice, make them die maybe twice. Scratch, scratch - scratch and snatch, make them lose the match.."

He waved his hand diagonally down, ending at his left side. Nothing happened at first as he opened his eyes. He frowned at first, but then, the dummy spilt, sliced as Mini predicted with his hands. The top half slipped off. I widened my eyes and cracked a smile.

Mini cheered and punched the air. Lui and Moo started to celebrate with him. I joined in, giving high-fives all around.

"Wow, Mini! You did it!" Moo exclaimed.

Magic was the hardest this to learn and master. I was happy for Mini, but envied the fact that he found his special power first out of all of us.

"Nice job, bud," I smiled.

He grinned like a little kid who made his parents feel proud. I would only know that smile from my brother and parents. Yet it wasn't always directed to me.

"This training has really helped!" Mini began, "You know what? I'm ready, let's go to floor two and defeat those bastards!"

"Calm down, Mini," Lui giggled, "we aren't quite there yet,"

"Besides," Moo started, helping me start to clean up a bit, "I heard a rumor that the Majiya Guild is going to attempt a mission there,"

"Who's the Majiya Guild?" I ask, carry another dummy to set up.

"They're number four on top guilds right now,"

"How the hell do you know that?" Mini snorted.

"It's all over the billboards that changed every few minutes! God, am I the only one that pays attention to anything anymore?" Moo retorted.

"Nah, I've seen it up there, how come we aren't up there though?" Lui asked.

"Because, we aren't a necessarily a guild," Moo explained, "we'd have to ensure that at the hall in order for us to be an 'official' guild,"

I finished cleaning up a bit and kept listening to everything. I walked over and sat down in the grass, checking the time. I wonder if it's the same time here as it is there?

I always wondered that. Yes, we did set it up, but with this.. Lockdown, who knows what this psychopath did.

-

For the past week we have been training. Word of the Majiya Guild spread even more, they had successfully made it in the room, though the doors closed and know one has any idea if they're okay or not. The door has been closed for a few days now. My thought is that they didn't survive.

"Today was a workout man," Lui huffed as he took a seat next to me on the couch. He patted my shoulder.

"You think that guild made it through?" Lui asked me, taking a bite of his sandwich and instantly making a disgusted face. That being his cooking level wasn't high enough. Not anyone's is really, here that is.

"I dunno," I said, "the doors have been closed for days now, I don't think it takes days to fight a monster. They'd all be tired at some point or hungry and thirsty,"

"That is true,"

"They probably had died, that's my guess. Either from the boss or exhaustion,"

I got up and took Lui's empty plate, waking over to the sink to wash it. Lui followed me.

"You're not the slightest bit worried or even a little sad that they didn't make it?"

"Tsk, they'll respawn anyway," I commented.

Lui raised an eyebrow and his eyes widened. I raise an eyebrow back at his expression.

"What?" I say.

"Evan, you seriously think that?" Lui asked, concern laced in his voice.

"Lui, it isn't real life,"

"Evan, we are trapped! If we die here..you die in real life!" Lui raised his voice and gripped my arm tightly.

I snatched my hand away and snorted.
"Lui, the guy was bluffing, trying to scare us. You really believe all that bullshit?"

Lui shook his head, his eyebrows furrowed. He was obviously unhappy with me.

"You're delusional," he scoffed, "I though you really were serious about all of this,"

Lui turned away angrily and sped walked out the door. I stood there, cruising under my breath.

Lui's the delusional one..

I thought to myself as I continued to do the dishes.

---