Ch. 3 - A Nobody?

Evan

The rest of first hour was boring and slow. I hardly payed attention. The bell rings and students flood out into the halls, me falling behind the crowd. As I walk I am stopped by a few ladies.

"Hey, Evan.." One of the girls sang.

I always was annoyed with this. These girls don't know me, they just want me for my looks, or my ability to do their homework - which was only one time - now I just tell them to pay attention.

"Uh, hey, girls," I rub the back of my neck.

"You're so cute, you're blushing!" The other girl squealed. I raised my hands to my cheeks and felt my cheeks were warm.

"Can you tutor us..?"

"Listen, ladies, I'm very busy with my own work- P-plus, I am going to be playing my favorite VR game!" I reply.

"V-R.. Game?" They all raised an eyebrow.

I try holding up my fake smile, but feel the annoyance build up inside me. In fact, I can hear tiny brain cells leaving my head, even though it wasn't their fault for not knowing what it was. Only it hurt me in a way because of their disgusted tone.

I just sigh and continue to walk.

"Evan, wait!" I hear them say, but I ignore them and keep walking.

I wish I wasn't seen as a handsome face, or a nerd, or that gamer freak, or other insults and "compliments" that linger around this school. I wish I wasn't a person that was talked about. I'd rather just be another face in the crowd. If I had the choice to receive an award for something I didn't do or do that something and not receive and award - I would choose the second option. At least I knew that I did it if that were the case.

I keep walking, still lost in my thoughts, when suddenly I bump into someone. I shake my head and watch their stuff fall out of their hands. It was an unknown kid. I don't think I've ever seen him around here. I try to apologize and make small talk. I watch his light blue eyes look around. They were filled with emptiness, almost. But they were very blue..

He must not have to deal with what I do.. No "publicity" just another face in the crowd..

He doesn't answer, but only stares at me. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see it's Brock. But when I turn back around, he was gone. I furrow my eyebrows and shake my head, turning to face Brock.

"Hey, ready to walk to class?" He asks, since we have art together.

"Yeah.." I mutter at first, "yeah, yeah let's go,"

"Cool, c'mon,"

--

I frantically set up everything for the game. My VR gear connected and the game downloading.

"Man, I'm so excited, I really just wanna fangirl!" Lui squeals through the skype call.

"Me too!" Craig giggles.

"We're all really close friends, I'm sure fangirling isn't one of the most embarrassing things we've done in front of each other," I remark.

"True.. So permission to fangirl?" Craig asks.

"I don't care,"

"Brock?"

Brock was looking intently at his phone on his webcam. He hums a 'hm?' and looks up. "Oh-oh yeah, sure.." He says, not actually sure, as he continues to look at his phone, like it was important.

"What's with you Brock?" Lui asks, teasingly.

"I'm just reading.." Brock answers, briefly.

"Reading..?" I lead on to have him continue.

"Sorry. I'm reading a forum about the game. Some people have it already downloaded and wrote some reviews on it. Also, some of the developers," he explains, "but as I'm reading people's reviews they say that they get a 'strange vibe' about it, like it's 'unusual'."

"Probably 'cause they're new to VR games," Craig says.

"No, actually. There are professionals on here, like that one guy Karger7. And a whole bunch of other people." He says, his thumbs continuously, slowly, moving up and down.

"It's probably to just have the game to themselves," I say, not really meaning my answer.

"Nah, I don't think they'd do that," Brock responds, "but I'm getting skeptical and worried guys.."

"Don't worry about it Brock," Lui said, "only you would find the most ridiculous shit on the Internet,"

"Hey! Maybe the game is a scam, who knows!" Brock retorts, "remember that one time with Tezena? That one was a scam and I was right!"

"I'll give you that, but still, you worry too much Brock Obama," Craig chuckles.

Brock growls, "His name is Ba-rack, not Brock! I hate when you do that!"

"I'm just teasing you, Moo,"

Brock doesn't answer, only looking back on his phone. I laugh at this. My heart feels a hint of warmness with the guys, the thought of a family. A family who cares. I suddenly hear a knock at my door.

"Be right back guys," I say and block my camera, along with muting my mic.
I get up and walk over to my door, opening it.
I see it's my father. I raise an eyebrow, yet want to roll my eyes.

"Evening, Evan," he greets me.

"Hey, Dad," I say, "what'd you need?"

"We need to talk," he says, entering my room and taking a seat on my bed.

I close my door and sit beside him.
"I'm banning you from your VR games,"

"W-What?" I place my hand on my blanket, gripping it tightly in my palm.

"Evan, it's unhealthy. You are failing home ec. as well. No VR games." He stands up, puffing his chest.

"D-Dad! Not fair! Home ec. is hard anyways, and it's stupid, c'mon Dad!" I stand up too and argue.

He couldn't just take them away from me. Not now, not when the greatest game of all time - knowing from forums and reviews - is downloading as we were speaking.

"Evan, that's enough! Turn off the VR and place it in the lounge at 9:00 exactly, or I'll come in here myself to do so!" He sternly says.

"D-Dad!"

"Evan Fong!"

"This wasn't a problem before, why now?!" I yell.

"Just trust me Evan," he mutters, "Do as you're told! 9:00!"
He then leaves my room, slamming the door.

I grit my teeth and clench my fist. I look at the progress. It was at 50% of installment now, quick downloading.

I re-set up skype and tell my friends the news. Each of them having a disgusted and apologetic look on their face.

"Man, that must suck. Best of luck to you Evan, well we'd better go if that's the case. See ya, bro!"

"Yeah, see ya," I sigh and end the call. I rub my eyes and frown. I look at the time: 8:57. The installment was nearly finished. It said three minutes left. I shake my head and lean back in my desktop chair. It chimes down to the last few seconds until pops up: 100%.

I heard my Dad's footsteps get closer to my room. I hide everything and jump into my bed, pretending I fell asleep.
Knowing my father, he wouldn't want to wake me. When he peeks in, just as planned, he leaves after. I jump back up and run to my gear. I turn it on and text the guys. I place the gear on my head and breathe, calming my excitement down.

"Link, Start!"

---

Yes, I mean why not? Link start is amazing so don't judge lol, plus that's what makes it this way you know?!

<3
Qotd: What anime are you currently watching or if you don't watch anime, what Tv Show?

Me: Future Diary (AMAZING) and TV Show You, Me, And The Apocalypse.
Pretty funny!

~Danirious