Ch. 6 - A Mask

Delirious

I couldn't decide whether this was a miracle or a nightmare. Trapped. In FOW. In the virtual world. It was something I have always dreamed of, yes, but was I willing to risk my life for a chance inside a video game? No, I wasn't. The thought of dying in a virtual world and in real life, terrified me just as much as the next guy. Yet, it was exhilarating. The only problem was having no avatar. I can't have people see who I am.

After leaving the dome, I set out on my first mission. I hurried my pace, rumor has it - I heard it during school - there is a battle in which will give you a powerful sword, clothes, and a mask, along with money and other accessories. I had my heart set on that mask, I was willing to do it. Although, I knew I had to rank up my levels. I browsed the town in search for some good weaponry to get me started. As expected I found some.

All geared up I was ready to go. I knew I had more experience with this than most. Or that's what I had thought. Most of these people were just in shock. Is it worrisome that I'm not? Maybe I should be worried. How easy it is to die in a world full of mythical monsters and other creatures.

That only brought one thing into my mind other than fear, is the courage to work harder. Level up, gain skill.

I shook my shoulders and prepped myself as I approached the door of the mission, already speaking with the NPC and beginning it. Some say this mission is super difficult. I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't nervous. I was putting my life on the line in the first hour of being trapped. But, in all honesty, I was terrified. Though, I knew I could not let fear distract me from the task at hand.

I entered as the doors opened slowly, and then closing behind me when fully in the room. I readied my iron sword and prepared for anything.

"Grr.." A deep, heavy, growl echoed through the circled room. No one was seen, so where in the hell was this thing?

Thud!

And right in front of me, dropped a level 3 ogre. I raised my eyebrow.

This'll be easy.. I said, with confidence, in my mind.

Then I read above its health. 70 in total.

I smirked and sprinted, sword drawn to the ground, jumping in the air and slicing through. I landed on the ground, back facing the ogre, I turned and saw that.. I had done no damage to him.

The ogre faced me. Ugly, rotted, blue skin. Ears pointed and teeth crooked, sticking out of his mouth. He lifted his club and patted it on his hand.

My heart skipped a beat, my breathing cut short, and sweat beads drifted down my head.

H-how did I not do damage?

I attacked again. Instantly, the ogre dodged and threw me back, hitting the wall. My back felt like my bones had all just broke. I fell to the ground and groaned. I looked at my health. 50. I coughed and used my strength to get back up. I wasn't giving up.

This guy was strong. Reason being - as quickly figuring out - his dodging techniques were a strong point for him. I watched his movements and began clearing a pattern in my head. He seems to have an open weakness to his stomach. The ogre swung the club back and forth. Dodging, I waited for an opening. Now!

Slice!

And just like that the ogre's health went to zero. I smiled and watched as the pixels floated away, leaving a bag of loot behind. A big holographic message, colored in green, popped up saying.. 'Mission Complete'